junction box in wall

Old 07-03-05, 10:35 AM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
junction box in wall

Is it code to put a permanently accessible junction box in the wall?

Here is the situation:
The previous owner ran a 12-3 wire to a baseboard heater from the attic to the basement through a heating vent. In the process of pulling it out, I knicked it. So I have too possible fixes. Run new wire 20' from the baseboard heater to the to the wall at where it heads down to the basement.

Or, I can see putting a junction box in the wall where the nick was and then running a line down from the junction box to the ceiling. I can then cover the junction box with a solid outlet cover (no holes). So the junction box would remain permanently accessible, just not in the usual spot. Is this kosher with codes?

The second option would obviously be a snap.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 11:05 AM
The problem with putting a box at the location of the nick is that it is unlikely that you will have enough slack in the cable to make the splice in a code-compliant manner. You need about 6 inches of slack.

Why did you start this project? What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 07-03-05, 11:19 AM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
I know I'll have enough slack. I can pull about 24 " of wire back in to the attic because the nick is on the ground floor. I can easily run new wire from there to the basement so I can create as much slack as I want. My only challenge would be to run the twenty feet from the wall in question, to the heater. It's snakes in some unknown direction. I would probably have to tear out patches of wall and ceiling to make the run.

I am doing a large renovation of this side of the house due to some water damage. So given all the work to do to this part of my house to make livable I am mainly looking for the fastest way to fix this wiring job yet maintain codes and safety

Old 07-03-05, 11:22 AM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
sorry: just to add to my reply so it's more clear and concise:

I am proposing putting the box 24" away from the point of damage, and then running new wire the rest of the way. I have walls removed below the point of damage so it's an easy run but beyond the point where I'd put the junction box everything is finished.

Old 07-03-05, 11:27 AM
It's a sound plan. But I'm still curious as to why you pulled it out in the first place.

Old 07-03-05, 11:33 AM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
This wire was running through a heater vent through two floors. Isn't that against code and dangerous if the insulation dries out due to the fluctuation in temperature (I live near Lake Michigan)? Not too mention upon entry into the duct the wire was resting on some pretty ragged sheetmetal where the hole was punched into the vent. Not that most of my house is code, there are lot of issues to work on, but I did it because of peace of mind.

Old 07-03-05, 11:34 AM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
not heater 'vent'....I mean heater DUCT...better terminology

Old 07-03-05, 11:36 AM
It's legal to run some kinds of cable through a duct, and not legal for other kinds of cable. We haven't discussed what kind of cable this is. But in any case, if you can run it outside the duct, that's always better. Thanks for the explanation and good luck with your project.