GFIC question

Old 07-05-05, 06:24 AM
GFIC question

What would cause a GFIC plug to stay hot once the test button is pushed to test the circuit. I have replaced the old plug with a new one but still have the problem. The plug is the last on the line and nothing is attached to the load side. All wires are connected correctly.

Please help trying to sell this piece of property and home inspector wont sign off until I get this fixed.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 06:38 AM
Either it is wired wrong, or the device is defective.

If it really is a new device then I vote for it being wired wrong. Are you sure that hot and neutral wires are correct, and that they are connected to the line terminals?

And what does the home inspector have to do with it? Is the prospective buyer insisting on the device working properly, according to the home inspector?

Old 07-05-05, 06:51 AM
Gfic

Yes, the buyer is relying on the Home Inspector, which is another story in itself. This guy asked me why a recepticle didnt work not knowing (or bothering to find out) it was wired to a switch so you can see what I have been through.

I will recheck the wiring but I am sure it is right and I just bought the new device so I am relatively sure its good.

Thanks,

Old 07-05-05, 07:56 AM
I just wanted to make sure that you're talking about the test button on the face of the GFCI receptacle, and not the test button on an external plug-in GFCI tester, right?

Old 07-05-05, 09:19 AM
yes its the "test" button on the device itself. When i push it it clicks and the yellow light comes on but it still is hot.

Old 07-06-05, 06:09 AM
Still stumped

It is wired correctly, I even tried a different device still the same problem! Plug stays hot whether or not the test button is pushed.

Anyone else had this problem??

Old 07-06-05, 06:29 AM
Is this connected to Aluminum wire by chance? If so, is the GFCI receptical rated for Al?

EDIT...Just realized you meant hot as in test button does not interrupt power flow out of the receptical. I was reading this as meaning hot to the touch.

I guess I need some

Last edited by chirkware; 07-06-05 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Realized I misunderstood OP
Old 07-06-05, 07:05 AM
no its connected to copper wire

Old 07-06-05, 07:41 AM
Silly Question, but

How are you determining that the GFCI is still hot? Are you actually plugging in a device or using one of those no contact detectors?

Old 07-06-05, 10:56 AM
using a fluke, brand name, detector, you stick it into the plug and it glows, should I try something else?

Old 07-06-05, 11:14 AM
You are using an inductive tester that is giving you the indication that the plug is still hot. This is false it is just picking up the "field" from the hot wires in the box. If you plug something into the gfi I'm betting it wont work. The little yellow light on the gfi is telling you that the gfi has tripped. Gfi's have a set of contacts that break open when the gfi trips, when they break the circuit closes to the little indicater light turning it on. There a still hot wires in the box however and your inductive tester is making you think the gfi is still hot when it really isnt.

Good call Bogus

Last edited by Roger; 07-06-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-06-05, 12:20 PM
Thanks to all,
I will try plugging something in to verify that it has tripped. My tester has been right before but may have been older/different type GFICs. Next I will have to prove it to the home inspector and prospective buyer.

Thanks again.

Old 07-06-05, 02:50 PM
If the problem isn't your tester then it sounds like you may have the line wires wired to the load portion of the receptacle.