DIY surface conduit

Old 07-05-05, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY surface conduit

Hi,

I have run the consumer grade metal surface conduit that they sell at the home improvement stores (the kind designed to run over drywall). It's kind of expensive and somewhat fiddly but it gets the job done.

I will probably stick with the consumer grade but I was just curious if the average DIY'er could tackle the professional pipe type conduit. As far as tools cost I believe you would need to buy at least the tube bender, right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A starting point for tools would be a bender (correct size for conduit - there isn't a one size fits all), something to cut the conduit (hacksaw), something to debur the conduit after cutting, and a fishtape to pull wires. There isn't any end to tools that can be used.

The average do-it-yourselfer should be able to learn to bend conduit. A little math apptitude goes a long ways. A lot of extra conduit to mess-up is probably needed when learning. I don't think a do-it-yourselfer would want to bend anything but the smaller sizes. As it gets bigger, more expensive tools are required to bend the conduit. Also, probably want to stick to EMT (thinwall) or the smallest sizes of rigid.