Moving on in my basement remodel.

Old 07-05-05, 11:10 AM
Moving on in my basement remodel.

OK, I'm moving on in my basement remodel job and have a few questions before I proceed.

The basement encompasses a livingroom, bedroom, small kitchen area, laundryroom and bathroom. I have already finished the bedroom and livingroom thanks to previous replies from posts. I've done a lot of reading in here about kitchens and bathrooms but still have a few concerns.

All circuits will be 20A with 12 gauge wire.

The kitchen will have eight 4" low voltage lights, a fridge, gas range, microwave venthood over the range, dishwasher and possibly a disposal. I haven't decided yet on the disposal but I will provision for it anyway. The lights will be on their own circuit, as well as the microwave and disposal. All of the outlets will be GFI with the exception of the fridge, disposal and microwave.

The laundryroom and bathroom are basically the same room with bifold doors separating them. I will run a dedicated GFI circuit for the washer and gas dryer, and will provision for an electric dryer. There will be three 4" low voltage lights, including one over the shower, an IR heat lamp, a 90cfm ventfan and a couple GFI protected outlets.

Here are my concerns:

1. I read in here that the disposal cannot be on the same circuit as the outlets, so does that mean it should be dedicated? Can it be on the same circuit as the dishwasher?

2. Should the fridge be dedicated?

3. Can the lights, fan and outlets in the bathroom all be on one circuit, and if so, should they all be on the GFI?

4. I would like to use multiwire circuits wherever I can. What are the "don'ts" for multiwire circuits?

5. When wiring for lights is there a preferred method, as far as power to the switch, or a switchloop? It seems to me using a switchloop would be the easiest.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I want to be sure to get it right the first time.

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 11:27 AM
1. Disposal can share a circuit with the dishwasher, although many people prefer that they be on separate circuits for maximum future flexibility.

2. I would recommend it, especially if it's a full-sized refrigerator, but it's not required.

3. Yes, but only if nothing outside that one bathroom is on the same circuit. You may put them all on GFCI if you want, although I generally would recommend it only for the receptacle and anything over the shower.

4. I recommend against multiwire circuits, as they offer few advantages and numerous complications. If you want them anyway, then (a) pigtail all neutrals, (b) use a double-pole breaker if you have any split-wired devices (and preferably even if you don't), (c) don't try to use GFCI unless you've already split the neutral.

5. Many people like switch loops as it tends to reduce crowding in the switch box and sometimes saves a bit of cable. However, I prefer not to, as it confuses people, requires special handling any time you have multiple fixtures, and eliminates the possibilities of later changing a switch to a switch/receptacle combo, tapping power from a switch box, or using any specialty switch that requires a neutral. It just seems to me that life on a 120-volt circuit is simpler if the white wire is always a neutral.

Old 07-05-05, 11:29 AM
1. The disposal and the dishwasher can be on the same circuit if you wish. Many people recommend against this, but itís up to you.

2. While the refrigerator does not need a dedicated circuit, it is recommend that it be on one.

3. Yes, you can put the lights, fan and bathroom receptacle on one circuit. Put nothing else on this circuit. The laundry area requires its own dedicated circuit. Donít put the lights in the laundry area on the circuit with the bathroom.

4. Multi wire circuits are complicated for average persons to understand. I recommend against using them except in very specific situations. In your case you might consider them for the dishwasher and disposal, and for the laundry/bathroom. To make the easier to wire and to plan, separate into two separate circuits at the first junction box.

5. The choice is yours. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages. I would go with whatever seems more logical. Running power to the switch first means you can expand the circuit from the switch. Running power to the light first means you can expand the circuit from the light.

Old 07-05-05, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the tips.

One more thing, though. I have searched high and low for a fixture housing for the IR heat lamp I want, but cannot find anything except for the heat lamp/ventfan combo units available from places like Nutone, which I don't want. I just want a housing similar to one of the six inch recessed light housings, but none are rated for these lamps. The highest I found was for a 150W lamp and these IR lamps are 250W.

Any ideas??

Thanks...Randy