Question about wall switches

Old 07-06-05, 07:25 PM
Lopn
Visiting Guest
Question Question about wall switches

Hello,

I have a double bathroom switch, one turns on the light and the other turns on the fan. The switches are side by side as is typical, but my question is can I make them vertical, one on top of the other to save horizontal space? Has anyone ever seen this or know if it can be done? I have a really wasted wall because they put this switch right in the middle of a narrow wall and if it were moved to one side with the switches one on top of the other, I could actually make use of the wall (decoratively).

Thanks!
Lopn

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-05, 07:41 PM
There are no regulations as to switch height or placement. The switches can be installed one on top of each other if you wish.

However, that does not mean that your existing switches can easily be moved. To answer that you need to know whether the wires feed from the bottom of the existing junction box or the top of the existing junction box or both. The issue is whether there is enough slack change the location of the wires. You probably could, as you could use one box as a junction box to feed the other if necessary.

They also make duplex switches, that is two switches in a single unit that are the size and shape of a duplex receptacle. In my opinion this would be better than two traditional switches, one on top of the other.

Old 07-06-05, 07:49 PM
Lopn
Visiting Guest
Wall switch question

Hi,

Thank you! I appreciate the info. I would definitely have a "professional" (or a friend who knows what they are doing) evaluate and do the actual move. I agree about using a duplex switch (as opposed to 2 individual switches on top of each other) but I have been unable to find one that puts the switches vertically... that is why I thought maybe it wasn't possible. Have you seen them vertically? Any suggestions as to where to look?

Once I know that the option exists, I will find some help in the actual moving...

Thanks again!
Lopn

Old 07-06-05, 07:56 PM
I have never seen a duplex switch with the switches vertical.

Old 07-07-05, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Lopn
if it were moved to one side with the switches one on top of the other, I could actually make use of the wall (decoratively).
Just remember that if there is any wiring left in the old location you cannot cover it up with anything but a faceplate. No wallpaper, plaster, wood, etc can cover the existing electrical box if there is any wiring in there. Boxes must be "permanently accessible".

Old 07-07-05, 08:01 AM
Lopn
Visiting Guest
Wall switches

Hi,

Thank you... good to know... that wouldn't be a problem, since what I want to do is hang a picture in that space and currently with the light switch behing the picture it won't lay flat and you have to slide your hand behind the picture to turn on the light However, I can appreciate that it might look unappealing from a re-sale stand point, to have the face plate in the middle of the wall and the light switches over to the side... I just wish the original contractors had just thought for a minute before putting the switches in the middle of the space... sigh...

Thanks,
Lorie

Old 07-07-05, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A picture hung over a blank faceplate is acceptable. Good luck with your project.