breaker overload??

Old 07-07-05, 11:25 AM
gnahthe
Visiting Guest
Question breaker overload??

My breaker box has at least 7 breakers, 15 and 20 amps.
Last night a 15 amp breaker tripped and based on what I happened (below), isn't this too much on one line?

Third floor
small kitchen - out
bathroom - out
hall - out
2 bedrooms - out

Second floor
living room - out
bedroom - everything out except one outlet

First floor
Family room - out
Large Kitchen - everything out except two outlets
Bathroom - on

Basement - on

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 11:54 AM
That's far, far, far too much on one circuit. 70 years ago it used to be common to put a lot on one circuit, back when most families didn't have many electrical appliances. If your home is old, that might be the explanation. If your home is not old, sloppy work might be the explanation. Your setup wouldn't have met any codes in the last 40 years.

Old 07-07-05, 12:17 PM
gnahthe
Visiting Guest
Yes my home is early 1900s. I will have an electrician come in. How is this commonly fixed?

Thanks

Old 07-07-05, 12:22 PM
Were window A-C units in operation when the C-B tripped?

Old 07-07-05, 12:42 PM
gnahthe
Visiting Guest
yes, but the microwave is what did it. Both are on the third floor.

Old 07-07-05, 12:44 PM
Generally the only way to fix it is rewiring the house or at least adding some new circuits and/or replace parts of the existing ones and perhaps a service upgrade. You are right in consulting an electrician as you could have a dangerous situation (on top of inconvenient). A qualified electrician will be able to assess what is required. Based on your description, fixing this is not a trivial undertaking. Be sitting down when you ask for a quote. But get at least 3.

Old 07-07-05, 12:49 PM
How is this commonly fixed?
By adding more circuits, which sometimes requires replacing the panel with a larger panel, which sometimes requires a service upgrade.

There's really only two ways to live in a 100-year-old house: (1) replace all the electrical with modern stuff, or (2) live like they did 100 years ago.

If the house has never been upgraded since it was built, a full upgrade may be as much as $10,000. If that knocks you to the floor, you may need to compromise, such as living without air conditioning. You might be able to partially remedy small isolated problems with smaller solutions.