residential wiring

Old 07-07-05, 01:20 PM
residential wiring

I'm a 2nd year electrical apprentice (commercial) and would like to learn more about the residential side of it. Can someone recommend a good book or dvd that will help me out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 07:06 PM
ThomasB,

Well take it from me a 17 year electrican who did both and now likes Residential alot more....my back thanks me every day ( got tired of those large CT Cabs and 4" rigid overheads ).

Since you are already in the field I would say most any of the books based on residential wiring will give you the basic pointers as basically you are trying to adjust from the learning curve to nothing but THHN and THWN and Conduit to Romax and SE cable.....not to mention simple nail up boxes....

And dont get me started on running miles and miles of AC cable....anyway I would suggest you check out any of the residential wiring books at your local MEGA hardware store....I wont mention names but they have a orange logo......one called wiring simpified is fairly good as well.

Some others may have more books for you but I also wanted to let you know that in your area you probably have a community college that has night classes and just may have one on Residential Wiring...

Also if you really want to learn Residential Wiring and are willing to possibly take a pay cut as usually commercial gets a higher grade pay because of the labor involved....not that Residential Guys dont do well....just my observation from doing both...lol...you can take a helper position on a residential wiring job and learn ALOT in doing just one house....not everything but alot of the basics...give it some thought...