Hookin up a 220 line..

Old 07-07-05, 07:53 PM
ck1
Hookin up a 220 line..

I have a 220 circuit in my house which goes to an upstairs outlet. What i would like to do is run this circuit to a downstairs outlet which i will hook up to an A/C. Im looking to disconnect the bx cable from the breaker and hook up a new bx cable and route it to a new oulet im hookin up on the ground floor. I will shut off the main breaker and redo the wiring. Is there anything i should look out for while doing this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 08:20 PM
ck1
Can anybody give me some guidance here please.

Old 07-07-05, 09:59 PM
I suggest that you start by reading the book wiring simplified. It will give you more advice than any of us can (in a short amount of time), and it comes with pictures.

Old 07-08-05, 05:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with racraft.
You are asking how to do basically the whole job. You need a bit of electrical knowledge/experience before trying even the smallest job. And this is a small job.

Forget the existing circuit. All you are doing is using the breaker space.
Next, what are the specs for this a/c? So many folks just say "a 220 line", thinking this is all you need to know. This is half of the equasion, and the lesser half to boot. You need to know the amperage and requirements so you know what size and type of wire to use. That is way more important than "220".
Funny thing is, for a typical wall a/c 220v receptacle, you can use the same wire as you would for a 120v receptacle.

Please do get a good book and do some research before trying this. It's a small job that could become a big problem if not done right.

Old 07-08-05, 08:05 AM
Although I often recommend Wiring Simplified, for a simple project such as this, a book like Black and Deckers Complete Guide to Home Wiring might be better. It has more pictures and colorful pictures and step-by-step instructions for beginners. Wiring Simplified is essential for more complex projects such as basements and kitchens, but is not perhaps the best book for your first electrical project.