Reduced power to ceiling fan

Old 07-08-05, 01:29 PM
CraigHullett
Visiting Guest
Reduced power to ceiling fan

Hi there!

We've been living in this 22 year-old house for three years. Recently the ceiling fan in the master bedroom seems to not be getting sufficient power. The lights are much more dim than before, and I think the fan runs a bit slower than it did. Of course, we tried new bulbs, and I replaced the wall switch that sends the electric to the fixture. There isn't anything that has been added as a draw to the circuit, and this problem does not differ according to whether other lights on the same circuit are on or off. One other thing. When I turn on the wall switch there is a noticeable delay from flipping the switch to "ON" and the lights of the fan turning on. This switch does not seem to be associated with any other outlet or fixture.

Any advice you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 01:38 PM
My guess is that the fan is going bad.

Old 07-08-05, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good guess trying the switch first. Is it a toggle switch or a dimmer switch that controls the fan and/or lights?

I would take the fan apart and with the breaker off, check for loose wire nuts or other connections inside the fan box. While you're up there, clean out the crud that builds up around the motor and oil the motor.

If those three don't work or you don't want to bother with it, replace the fan motor as it may be going bad.

Old 07-08-05, 02:54 PM
When there is a delay in the lights coming on, it strongly suggests that there is a remote control receiver in the fan. Do you still have the remote control transmitter around?

Old 07-08-05, 04:16 PM
CraigHullett
Visiting Guest
That did it

Well, now I feel about as dumb as a stump. I always thought that the remote only turned the lights on and off (not having the owners manual). Your post got me thinking there might be something more to that remote. Sure enough, pressing and holding the button on the remote activates a dimmer function that brought the lights up to full power. At least I'm only out 54 cents for the switch.

Thanks very much for helping me resolve this problem, and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Sincerely,

Craig