Wiring a Dual Switch

Old 07-09-05, 10:23 AM
roots
Visiting Guest
Wiring a Dual Switch

I am adding a ceiling fan on my covered deck where there is currently a simple light fixture. I believe I have the fan wired correctly (per owners manual), but I want to make sure I am getting the switch right because I am going from a single switch to a dual switch so that I can control the light and fan seperately.

Feed Cable - black, white, copper
Fixture Cable - black, white, copper, and red.

In the fixture I capped off white to white, copper to copper, wired black to black/white (to run fan), and wired red to black (to run light).

The dual switch has 2 common posts and 2 posts on the opposite side. At the switch I have capped off all the whites attached to each other, I have connected the 2 coppers & ran a pig out to the ground post on the switch. Now is my problem.

Does the black from the feed cable attach to the common post on the switch? If so which one? Or do I need to run another pig so that I have black from the feed cable going to both posts?

Assume then the black & red from the fixture cable attach to the opposite side posts dependent upon my preference of having the light be run by the top or bottom switch?

Would like some reassurance before I close everything back up.

Thanks

Old 07-09-05, 10:57 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Root if there is a brass metal tab that connects the two screw posts then you only need one black pigtail to either screw (this sounds like what you have). If the screws are not connected, then a pigtail to each screw. Your use of the word common leads me to think you just need one pigtail.

Old 07-09-05, 10:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look at your switch. The two common screws should have a tab connecting them. If no tab then you must put a pigtail to both screws. The rest looks ok. Like you said, just decide which switch to trun the fan and light on.

Old 07-09-05, 11:04 AM
roots
Visiting Guest
Thanks

My switch seems to have a brass tab that does connect both common posts. It even looks like you could take that tab out with a screwdriver if someone wanted to. I guess I will tighten everything & close it up.

Thanks for your help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: