rewiring an old house

Old 07-08-05, 02:59 PM
L
loplo
Visiting Guest
rewiring an old house

Hello All,

I recently purchased an old 1890's home. It currently has 100amp service and knob and tube wiring. We have to take off a lot of old wall paper and repaint. I figured while I was doing that I could open up a few walls and run the wiring from the light switches to the overhead lighthing, etc. The question is, that assuming I can find a way not to lose the wires in teh walls once they are run, is there any risk in putting in the wires now and having an electrician tie them in later. We are having our service upgraded, but I want to save money where I can and I know that running the wires is the majority of the time on a job.

Any suggestions on how to do this and what my best options would be is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 03:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The risk is that an electrician may not want to the wires you run. This could be because he does not know how you ran them, or it may be because he finds one mistake in what you did and doesn't want to trust anything else.

Old 07-09-05, 07:12 AM
loplo,

I ditto what RAC said......and will add that in most cases if you are going through the trouble of an electrical panel upgrade it usually means you are needing more circuits and want more power ( I can hear tim the toolman now...gunting )....in which you need to look at the whole picture.

1.) with KNOB you usualy have a situation where you have a extreme " Common Neutral " circuit issue because basically I can bet you only have like maybe (1) or (2) recepts per room.......

2.) Many electricians will not touch a upgrade on a KNOB house simply because they are afraid of what the owner might have done in modern terms....I have seen people try to run computers on KNOB and overload it...

Are common neutral style wiring ( KNOB ) safe......well honestly yes and KNOB was one of the safest " non-groundingly speaking "..thehehe..RAC should like that..BUT is very limited when it comes to expanding and using some of the newer applicances and so on....then the harmonics and so on play problems on it.....even if the computers today are less problematic on ungrounded system.....Is Knob legal.....Yep as long as you leave it.....Is it safe.....Yep...until you become the EGC....

Ok....Here is the deal in my opinion....if you are going to be running new wires it is considered an upgrade and would mean you need to upgrade the circuit in which the room you are upgrading IN......in other words if you change the wiring...you should change it all within the room you are working.

Now.......is it cheap...Nope.......can be less if you have a nice crawl space or basement that is open to allow the electrician to pop up where needed to add the updated circuits and recepts....

My point here is......Upgrading the panel and running a few wires does not get rid of the KNOB ....and you do run the risk of an Electrician saying...no dice...not on my liablity insurance.... I would leave this job to the electrician and get (3) quotes.

Old 07-09-05, 08:31 AM
P
Let's "start" by wiring one or two bedroom by this procedure--------------

Cut a groove in the wall-finish ( lath & plaster?) , appox 2 ft above the floor, around the ENTIRE perimeter of the room. The goove will form a channel for routing the cables, and will expose the studs.

Next to each stud where you need a receptacle-outlet, cut a hole in the wall-finish, appox 16" above the floor. The dimensions of the hole = the dimensions of a "deep" plastic gem-box.Drill holes in the side of the gem-box & fasten the G-B to the studs with screws & fender washers, the box set so that the front edge is flush with the wall-finish.--- Done!!!!!

Now the electrician can route the cables box-to-box, and when he's done you can patch the walls. But wait!!! You forgot ( ha ha ) to break-out the cable-openings if the top of the boxes prior to setting the boxes!!! ( or did you?)

You must consider seperate-circuits for window A-C units and communication-cables. Obviously, this is accomplished much easier with an open-channel in the wall-finish. Also, you will have aquired a new skill- patching walls.

Next, you select the wall-paper pattern---

Any questions??

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!