Rewiring the house

Old 07-09-05, 09:48 AM
onlybui
Visiting Guest
Rewiring the house

Ok I pretty sure that this is already been asked but... I guess I still need more information .... We need to change our home wire system due to the house was build in the 1928 and is about 880 sq feet and the wires are really old and not even colour coded anymore due to its detorting and is still using two prong for plugs. The house needs alot of work and wondering if I should invest in upgrading the home wire first or work on windows and siding?

Another reason why I want to upgrade the the home wire is cause there are plans that the electric meter needs to be outside the house in our city. I looked @ the city to do it and is offering about 5000 max to do the job @ 11% intrest rate which is really high... But is it possible to actually move your own electric meter outside of your house your self with proper permits? by the way I live in canada. or would this be to complicated for a IT guy do actually try to rewire the whole house by reading a couple of books and have understanding of process....

if I was to do it myself what would my cost be around depending the SQ without wiring the basement? or how much money would I save and learn for further invest on reno in the future....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 05:57 AM
Lightbulb

onlybui
I'm an ex IT guy. Just retired from IBM 3 months ago. I've read and read and looked and listened and read again and they still dont put near eneough pictures in any of those books for me to get this house wiring. The light just will not come on (The little bitty bulb in my head). I can do everything else when it comes to remodling one or even building new but not electrical. Good luck with your project. I'm looking for a electrician right now.

Old 07-11-05, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I were you, I would have an electrician move the meter and perform the service change. This is complicated and potentially lethal work. An 80 year old service almost certainly needs complete replacement. When it comes to service changes, don't do it unless you're sure you can. It will take a professional less than a day to do this job. It may take you a week or two that your house will be totally without power.

Don't have city contractors do this job. Get three estimates from reputable electricians or electrical contractors in your area. Many cities have a contractor or two that specializes in service changes.

After the electrician installs the new service, then you can slowly replace the rest of the house wiring one circuit and weekend at a time. Installing new receptacle circuits and switch loops can easily be learned from DIY electrical books.

Old 07-12-05, 11:17 AM
onlybui
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply, just wondering why not get the city to do it? and would I need a permit after they move the meter and start rewiring the house myself.....

Old 07-13-05, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's just my opinion that city contractors do not do work to the same quality as someone who you have hired outright. It's my opinion and you're certainly free to choose your own contractor. References from someone who has had this work done in your area would be good too. I would be sure to check that the city contractors are actually licenced electricians if you do go with them. Get some estimates from private contractors too to make sure the city isn't ripping you off.

In most US states, you do need a permit to do the type of major rewiring that you want to do. I'm sure the process is very similar in Canada; permits and inspections required for major rewiring. There are a few pro electricians from Canada on this forum, so you might want to wait for one of them to chime in. You could call your city building inspector's office, describe what you want to do, and ask what would be required.