changing an outlet

Old 07-10-05, 06:51 AM
dankotom
Visiting Guest
changing an outlet

I am replacing some receptacles in my kitchen as part of a remodeling job because the old receptacles were painted. For one of them, there were three sets of wires attached to the receptacle. The hot wires were attached to the screw part of the receptacle. Two other sets of wires were attached using the wire holders on the back of the receptacle. When I changed the receptacle, I had two problems:

1. The receptacle has enough power to turn on a night light but not an appliance.
2. Another receptacle on the other side of the kitchen has no power unless something is plugged into the receptacle I changed.

On the receptacle that I changed, the red wires are all on one side and the white wires are on the other side.

I also tried connecting the three whites and the three reds together with a wire nut and still did not have power at the other outlet.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 04:39 PM
Lets start over. A set of wires is one cable (unless you have conduit). Tell us how many cables enter the box, what color the wires are in each cable, and how they connected to the original receptacle ie which wires connected to the brass screw side and silver screw side. You dont mention the black wires?? Also go to the panel and tell us if the breaker controlling this circuit is a double pole breaker. It will look like two single pole breakers connected together. A red wire will be connected to one and a black to the other. Do not connect any more wires together experimenting until we sort this out.

Old 07-10-05, 06:21 PM
Whoa Nelly. A white wire should never be connected to any other color. The fact that you have blacks and reds might indicate that one side of the receptacle might be switched. A picture of the cables inside the box would help. Also, we need to have a close look at the device you replace to see if it had the bridge broken off for split operation.

Old 07-11-05, 08:00 AM
A white wire should never be connected to any other color
That's an overstatement. There are several valid reasons why one might connect a white wire to a wire of another color. But I don't believe that's an issue with this post anyway, because I don't think Dan intended to say that he did that.

Dan, do you still have the receptacles you removed? I hope so. Don't throw them away yet. They will provide important clues.