EMT Question

Old 07-10-05, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EMT Question

Hi, I've been enjoying my summer working with EMT around the house doing some nice work I must say. However, is there a secret to fishing my #12 THHN thru all the conduit. I must say I have nicked a few spots and have had to go back & change the wire. It never happens on a straight run (no kidding) but mostly at the "offsets" that come out of a box or at one of those 90* fittings. I realize that my conduit is supposed to be all laid out first and secured, so am I missing something by getting these nicks, or does it just take practice, practice, practice. I'm using a pro style fish, but pulls at offsets and 90 degree corners still are a bit hard. Did I say I was using 1/2" EMT. Would 3/4" EMT make this a much simpler task?

THANK YOU.

Old 07-10-05, 05:43 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What are you cutting the EMT with? It should be done with a hacksaw then it must be reamed out on the end to remove the burrs left from the cutting process. I suspect you are not reaming out the EMT. Also how many wires are you pulling in this 1/2" emt?

Old 07-10-05, 05:55 PM
I have been cutting it with a tube cutter that has a reamer blade to take off the burr. I have just been pulling the hot & neutral. When pulling them I tape the wires one inch below the other. Maybe my de-burring method is not working.

Old 07-10-05, 06:10 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You never want to use a tubing cutter on EMT they are for soft metals like copper. The reamer on a tubing cutter will not "cut it" Using this tool puts a razor sharp edge inside the EMT that you cant remove with that reamer built into the tool. Always use a hacksaw and proper reamer. You may have already skinned the wires where you cant see them and might spell trouble down the road. This is a widely used tool for working with emt it works for 3 sizes and reams....http://www.allsparestools.com/Product.asp?ID=454
If your only pulling 2 #12's then 1/2" is fine. You are using the emt for ground which is fine, properly done, but I still recommend pulling a green ground.

Last edited by Roger; 07-10-05 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 05:10 AM
Thanks Roger...the hacksaws I already have. I am going to our local electric supply house to pick up the reamer. Thanks for the good advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: