Plz help with lightswitch problem

Old 07-10-05, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plz help with lightswitch problem

I have a kitchen fixture with 4 - 60 watt candle type bulbs. One always blinked a bit like it was loose or ready to blow so I had bought a new dimmer a while ago. Also the toggle dimmer didn't work anymore, it was just on or off. While I was away, my MIL turned on the switch and all 4 bulbs blew. I tried a new bulb while I got home but that didn't work. So I figured time to actually install the dimmer sitting on the table for a year.

turned off the juice, the old dimmer actually had 2 black wires coming out of it... out of the wall was the black and red wire attached to the 2 black wires coming out of the switch and there was also a white wire coming out of the wall taped up not doing anything.

The new dimmer had black red green. I hooked up black to black, red to red, and screwed the green into the lightswitch box (not sure if there is a ground or not) but even with a brand new bulb I have nothing.

I don't have a meter to see if there is juice to the fixture itself or even at the switch. (yes yell at me, guess time to get one).

All I can think of off the top of my head is if there is no ground at the box, then the switch wont work. OR maybe the new bulb isn't working. Or it's a bad switch?

Any ideas? And do you think the white coming out of the wall should be hooked up to the switch, yet it wasn't needed for the old switch? I've replaced a few lightswitches in my day but this one has me puzzled.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 08:07 PM
Start with the fixture.
Install a standard switch for testing.

Old 07-10-05, 08:26 PM
I'll have to do that in the daylight lol. I have to turn off the juice to the whole kitchen to do that disection.

I'm assuming it sounds like the wiring is ok. It's not smoking or tripping the breaker.

Old 07-11-05, 10:35 AM
My suggestions

When I wired in a switch in my family room there were two cables comming into the switch box. one from the power and the other went to the light fixture. Both black wires go to the switch and the white wires were connected together and not used. The copper wires were connected to the green ground on the switch.

You need to hook both black wires, in your case connect the red wire to the other black wire, to the switch as it was before. The white wires should be connected together and "not used". Connect the green wire to the copper ground wires.

Let me know if this works for you.

Old 07-19-05, 04:35 PM
Welp, turns out it's one of the 4 sockets in the fixture. put one light in and there goes the breaker. So i just have 3 bulbs in short term.

I also think i fried the dimmer part of the new switch. It does on/off just fine but not dim. I'm guessing there's some sort of resistor or something that I blew in the switch that enables it still to go on but not to dim?

I'm debating whether to buy a new fixture or just get a new socket. I'm assuming as long as I replaced the socket it would be ok.

Old 07-19-05, 06:58 PM
Yes, a dimmer is almost always fried if you run too much current through it. It is often a good idea to get things working with a regular switch and then swap in the dimmer.