Adding another circuit/breaker..........

Old 07-11-05, 09:05 AM
Adding another circuit/breaker..........

I noticed when I have my home theatre surround sound on and I turn any light/bathroom fan (downstairs near the front room) the sound on my receiver cuts out then back on. I also noticed that when I turn off power to the main familly room it turns off the family room and den, can I install a seperate breaker/switch just for my home theatre or is this something more that I should look into? Also can I do this my self or are there codes etc that need to be followed? If so how? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 09:53 AM
when I have my home theatre surround sound on and I turn any light/bathroom fan (downstairs near the front room) the sound on my receiver cuts out then back on
That's just spooky. How long is it out?

when I turn off power to the main familly room it turns off the family room and den
That's just plain wrong. But I would like to hear more detail about this.

can I install a seperate breaker/switch just for my home theatre
Yes, somebody (maybe you) certainly can, and maybe should, but it's unclear if this would solve any of the problem you mentioned.

can I do this my self or are there codes etc that need to be followed
Well yes, there certainly are codes that need to be followed. Whether you can do this yourself or not depends on where you live and what your skill level is. So where do you live anyway?

Old 07-11-05, 10:02 AM
It just cuts out for about a sec then comes back on....I dont know if it shuts anything else off, I'll have someone look for me next time...

I can switch off the breaker (1 switch) and it shuts off the den and familly room.

Im in Oregon....

What could cause this?

Old 07-11-05, 10:33 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
I am guessing it is voltage drop makeing your amp stop they do use A lot of juice but still not that much but If you have alot of other stuff on the same leg it could be but it is something you should correct. Does it stop or just crackle like feed back or something might also be noise in the line.

Old 07-11-05, 10:40 AM
I misunderstood. I thought "turn off power" mean flipping wall switch rather than a breaker. Having one breaker for the family room and den is not uncommon. But if both rooms are used at the same time and both rooms have significant power needs, it can be a problem. A new circuit to split up the loads is probably indicated. If you have no electrical experience, and have little interesting in devoting the considerable study it would require to learn what you need to do, then you might consider getting a couple of estimates.

On the other hand, your problem might be as simple as a bad connection somewhere.

Old 07-11-05, 10:53 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding!......when the power to the amp turns off theres no noise or anything just like it was turned off and on. I appreciate all your help! Thanks!!!!

Old 07-11-05, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ddayton217
the sound on my receiver cuts out then back on
Many amplifier devices have clip protection relays. If the signal or supply voltage is high or low enough to damage the speakers with spikes, the receiver trips out the amplifiers until the signal and supply voltages stabilize. Do you hear a slight metallic "click" when this happens?

May guess is that your circuit is quite overloaded, and the voltage drop of each additional load is causing your amp to active its clip protection. Running a new circuit for the home theater would probably be a good idea.

My other guess is that perhaps you have some cheap rotary-type dimmers on this circuit and the RFI is causing such interference in the amp that the clip protection activiates.

Old 07-12-05, 08:22 PM
higdonb
Visiting Guest
reciever cut out. mine too.

my reciever loses sound when my ice dispenser in the kitchen is used. also the kitchen light switch and the other light switches that are apparently on the same circuit. A friend suggested that I plug the reciever thru an extension cord to the bathroom or somewhere on a different circuit which would isolate the problem to the reciever or whether than is an overload on that circuit. Just a thought. I am in the same boat just haven't investigated too deeply yet. Good luck!