Soffit space same as attic for wiring?

Old 07-11-05, 12:38 PM
Soffit space same as attic for wiring?

Hello again all. I have received my permit to do the rewiring of my 1956 home. My panel is located in a flat roofed utility room. The house itself has a 2/12 pitch roof. Wall construction is concete block. Current wiring (silver romex) exits the flatroofed section into the gable pitched roof section through the roof sheathing and through a notch in the 2X8 plate on top of the concrete wall. It appears only be covered by the roofing material (not sheathing) at this point.

I removed the facia board and the soffit boards in the area to get a better look and it appears that the flat roof sheathing settled in that area, causing (or caused by) significant water damage which was repaired when the roof was replaced. It does not appear that I can use the same method of getting the NM for the branch circuits into the attic space.

The gable end overhang is cut away over that portion of the flat roof, so my original idea of enclosing a portion of the overhang and using that is not practical.

By far the most simple solution would be to run the NM through the last flat (2X6) roof rafter in the soffit area and from there through the first (2X6)ceiling joist (which extends to support the soffit) and then into the attic. The distance between the two 2X6's is 8". However I've always 'heard' that NM can't be run through a soffit. A web search today indicated that the NEC considers the soffit the same as attic space.

Can anyone clarify?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 01:19 PM
"I've always heard" is not a reliable source of information. I know of no such prohibition.

Old 07-11-05, 01:30 PM
Thanks John!! Yes "Always heard" is unreliable!! That's why I asked!