Receptical Problems

Old 07-12-05, 04:50 AM
Lisa J
Visiting Guest
Receptical Problems

Well here I am again asking for advice..this time on electrical outlets...In the main livingroom of the place I moved into there is a double lightswitch and 4 outlets that do not work... in my sons bedroom there is 1 outlet and in my daughters bedroom there is 1 outlet that do not work....I have replaced the outlets....checked the breakerbox...everything SEEMS fine....except that theyse are getting no power... any suggestions???? Being a single Mom calling an electrician is out of the question.... Thanks...Lisa

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 06:48 AM
Simple things first. In most bedrooms and living rooms these days, one or more of the outlets in the room are controlled by the wall switch near the door. Make sure the switch is on and try the outlet again.

Old 07-27-05, 04:03 PM
Lisa J
Visiting Guest
I had tried the switches on the walls... in the livingroom the switches ( a double one ) had no power to them either.. so it was 3 outlets and the switches.... in the bedrooms the outlet on the back walls ( which just happen to be the wall that the out outlets in the livingroom were on ) had no power either and they were not controlled by the wall switch either. And to my untrained electrical eye it seemed kind of funny that some outlets were wired with one set of wires ( 1 black and 1 white ) and some were wired with two sets ( 2 black and 2 wite ) so eventually I called my friends husband who just put another breaker in the box and wired all of the back wall outlets to that particular breaker. Not the best solution in the world because I worry about the rest of the wiring in the house... but the best solution I could come up with at this time...No wonder electricians make good money LOL... thanks for asking about my problem... Lisa

Old 07-27-05, 05:19 PM
Lisa,

lol....
No wonder electricians make good money LOL...
...ok.....calling Speedy, RAC, John, Winnie, Tom and other Electricians...lol...how come everyone says we make good money and plumbers make better money....figure that one out.........lol...

Ok...sorry Lisa.....just teasing ya.

You stated :
And to my untrained electrical eye it seemed kind of funny that some outlets were wired with one set of wires ( 1 black and 1 white ) and some were wired with two sets ( 2 black and 2 wite )
This in not uncommon, we feed a recept and loop to the next one and this will leave you with (2) black and (2) whites to place on a recept...actually very common...in every house in the USA i venture to say. The one with (1) set of wires was just the end of the line so to speak...

As john said before you really need to try and figure out what has caused this to happen, if you have removed the recepts that are effected did you test each one with a volt meter or test light on both sets of wires?..Also did you check the actual breaker that originally FED those your friend moved to another breaker.....

Did he REMOVE the wire on the other breaker to avoid a possible short situation in the panel if for some reason the circuit starts working again while you are testing it...like with a bad backfeed maybe that you open up and then for some reason makes contact and....whamo....did he do this?

Old 07-30-05, 07:07 AM
Lisa J
Visiting Guest
When Tim pulled the outlets that did not work out he tested the wires in the wall and none of them were hot. He checked the breaker that was supposed to be supplying them and it seemed fine...according to him.... and there are other outlets that run off that particular breaker that are working. As for putting in the new breaker and wires... he capped the ends of the old wires in the wall and just ran new wire to the outlets. And we left the double switch on the wall disconnected. And.... I am saving my pennies to get a professional electrician in here to really check the place out....I think my home needs more help than I or my best friends hubby can fix....Does anyone have a clue to how much it might cost to check out the house and possibly rewire the whole thing?... Thanks once again...Lisa

Old 07-30-05, 07:45 PM
how much it might cost to check out the house and possibly rewire the whole thing?
Rewiring the whole house is likely prohibitively expensive, probably 5 to 10 thousand dollars. It'll be best to concentrate on the problem areas.