Electric Hot Water Tank Wiring

Old 07-12-05, 10:52 AM
Electric Hot Water Tank Wiring

HI,MY Neighbor asked for helped because their hot water tank leaked out and has since been thrown out. They went to sears and brought home a new 55gl Kenmore Tank. This is where they asked me to install it for them. The new tank wires are black, blue, yellow, and green grounding screw.

the old tank wiring is 10/2 from a sub panel with a 30A breaker. When I removed the sub cover, I found the black & white connected to the breaker (with no red tape on the ends of the white). And the ground was connected correctly. I told them I was more comfortable running a new 10/3 wire from the breaker but they told me they were told by sears to just connect the black & blue together on the tank to the #10 black line wire. And to connect the #10 white wire to the yellow on the tank. And the ground to the green screw. I did as they asked and everything works. The point I think I am trying to make is after this was all installed and working, I read the booklet that comes with the tank and it specifies that if the electrical is run anyway except with 10/3 wiring that it would invalidate the tank warranty. Any Advice? Or let sleeping dogs lie.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 11:56 AM
You don't need 10/3. The 10/2 is fine.

The black, blue, and yellow wires you mentioned are likely not for connecting the power to. They sound like the wires for the thermostat connections.

Are the installation instructions any help? Can you provide us with the exact model number?

Old 07-12-05, 04:13 PM
And what did the instructions tell you to connect to the white wire from the 10/3? Water heaters don't normally require a neutral wire.

Old 07-12-05, 04:31 PM
Hi, black to black......red to blue......white to yellow....and ground to green grounding screw.

Does it make any sense or am I sitting in the sun to long?
However, you are correct because, presently the white that is attached to the yellow is hot from the breaker. My description would make the white a neutral connected to the yellow. things that make me go hmmmmmmm.

I guess it's all wired right in the first place and this post is probably mute. But the manual does call for 10/3 wiring.

Old 07-12-05, 09:25 PM
According to the book that came with my Sears heater, the 3 wire lead is for an 'off peak' meter or a 'time clock switch'.

However, the bottom picture shows a two wire lead...L1 to yellow and L2 to blue and black.

I think you have it right.

Baldwin

Old 07-13-05, 07:18 AM
Thanks Baldwin. That is very useful information.