2 Questions before i go any further

Old 07-13-05, 08:37 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Questions before i go any further

I am rewiring a small 3 season room and i have two quick questions. The first concerns 2 exterior lights on each side of this room. I want to install a motion sensor light on the first exterior light. If i do this, will i have to separate the light circuits so each is controlled by its own switch? Or is it possible to keep them on the same switch but still have the motion sensor light still work? My thought is that if i wire run the wire from the switch to the motion sensor light and then run the wire from that light to the other exterior light that only one switch would be necessary but i want to make sure.

My second question is regarding a ceiling fan/light in this room. Because it is small (only 8x13) i really don't need wall switches to control the light and fan, it's just as easy to use the pull chains. Do i need a switch for code reasons? If i can use just the pull chains, will 14-2 wire suffice or do i need 14-3.. one hot for the light, and one hot for the fan? The fan/light fixture is at the end of the cable run and the wire will be run from a duplex receptacle to the light/fan fixture.

Thanks for any help,
Pat

Old 07-13-05, 08:42 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Many motion sensor lighting fixtures have a restriction of only one light on a switch. Check the installation instructions of the ones you plan to buy to see if they have this restrictions.

You don't need a wall switch for the fan if you don't want one. The room, however, should still have a switch by the door for a light or receptacle.

If you plan to use the pull chains, 14/2 will be fine.

Old 07-13-05, 09:06 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you very much

i had checked the motion sensor light that i have and it didn't say anything, so to be safe than sorry i will put two switches in.

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: