Adding additional outlets

Old 07-13-05, 02:13 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding additional outlets

I want to add some more outlets in my house. I have an electrician coming over for something that's covered under my home warranty and I asked him about the price on adding some additional outlets. I think my husband can do the work, but I was wondering something. Is it true that this can be a fairly easy job? I've heard that you can "tap off" from an existing outlet or light switch if it's nearby. For example, I want to add another outlet, which would be w/in a foot of an existing lightswitch. Can we just tap off of the light switch?? If so, that seems like pretty easy work. All the outlets that I want added are right near a light switch. Only one of them would be on the same wall, just the other side (light switch is in the bathroom, I want the outlet in the hallway). The electrician said he can't quote me an exact price without looking at the job first, but said it costs $43, but I don't know if he said per hour or per outlet. Just wanted to get some opinions before I shell out some cash. Thanks!

Old 07-13-05, 02:31 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
It depends a lot on the construction of your home. If this is a ranch home with an unfinished basement, the job will be much easier than on the middle floor of a two-story with finished basement ceilings, or if there's no attic, or if the house is on a slab, etc...

Sometimes you can tap a light switch, sometimes you can't. Again, it depends on how the builder wired your home when it was built. If you knew what wires were in each light switch box, we could give a pretty good guess as to whether or not it was possible. Another consideration is what do you plan to use these receptacles for? An air conditioner or vacuum cleaner might require a new circuit to be pulled if the nearby circuits are already near capacity.

As far as the electrician, $43 per outlet is a really good deal in my opinion. Heck, $43 per hour is a good deal too. The price is usually about $70 per outlet or $70-90 per hour around here.

Old 07-13-05, 02:36 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by lspringman
(light switch is in the bathroom, I want the outlet in the hallway)
I just re-read this part. It's very unlikely you can do this. In almost every situation, bathroom circuits can only serve bathrooms.

Old 07-17-05, 07:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The issue with bathroom circuits serving only bathrooms is difficult to understand.

If the lights in your bathroom are on the same circuit breaker as the receptacles in the bathroom then you cannot tap this circuit no matter how it is wired.

If the lights in your bathroom are on a different breaker than the receptacles in the bathroom then you MAY be able to use that circuit, depending on how it is wired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: