How do I run wire without attic access?

Old 07-13-05, 09:32 PM
Bruce Castro
Visiting Guest
How do I run wire without attic access?

I hope to add a ceiling fan in a location where no light fixture currently exists. My question is how do I run wiring in the 1st floor ceiling of a 2 story condo? I understand that some sheetrock damage and repairs may be needed. What is the best/easiest way to run a 3 way wire from an existing wall switch box to a new ( soon to be placed ) ceiling fan box with no attic access? Where are the best locations to cut the sheetrock to allow for access? I have done this same project with attic access. It was fairly easy. Without attic access I am lost. Please help.

Thanks,
IMBAC

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Bruce Castro
What is the best/easiest way to run a 3 way wire from an existing wall switch box to a new ( soon to be placed ) ceiling fan box with no attic access? Where are the best locations to cut the sheetrock to allow for access? I have done this same project with attic access. It was fairly easy. Without attic access I am lost. Please help.

Thanks,
IMBAC
Check this out:

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...eway/index.asp

Old 07-16-05, 10:31 PM
If you choose to run inside the ceiling, you will want to determine which direction the joists run using a stud finder. You will want to run the cable parallel to the direction of the joists.

You will need to cut a square of drywall at the very top of your wall, in order to give you access to drill through the top plate of your wall. Make the opening about 12" x 12" to give you room to get the drill in.

Cut the opening in the ceiling for your new electrical box.

Depending on how big the room is and how lucky you are, you might be lucky enough to run a snake(s) from the hole in the top plate to your box opening. If you are not so lucky, or if it's a very large room, you may need to also cut a hole in your ceiling to help with fishing the cable. I'd go with 6" x 15" running between the joists right at the junction of the walls.

Don't forget to purchase a fan box rated to carry the weight of yor fan, or else secure a 2" x 4" or x6" between the joists above your box, so that you can secure the fan to the 2x.

Happy fishing