Two sconces replaced one Bathroom fixture - question

Old 07-14-05, 03:12 PM
scdemandred
Visiting Guest
Two sconces replaced one Bathroom fixture - question

Hi, all, here's the project I undertook:

My bathroom had a single, six-bulb fixture that I removed. There was a single NM cable that powered the fixture, and I needed to run power to two wall sconces.

I installed a junction box and, using pigtails, split the one cable into two (14/2 NM) leaving the junction box. I installed a box for each sconce, and then installed them.

All seemed to go well, but lately the left-hand light has taken to flickering. It will go normal to bright and back, and then it will go brighter and the bulb will burn out. This was not happening in the first weeks after I initially installed the sconces.

Based on what I've read, the problem may not be in the wiring, but in the sconce itself or in a bad batch of bulbs. That nothwithstanding, I would like to know if what I did to split the single wire to accommodate two sconces was kosher, or if I need to re-do it to be safe? I have found nothing in books about installing two fixtures in place of one, or how to wire for such.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-05, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you check the connections at the fixture in question? It could be a loose wirenut.After that go to where you made the other splice & check it.

Old 07-15-05, 09:22 AM
scdemandred
Visiting Guest
Yes, I have already verified that all the wirenuts are tight and the splices are not loose. Does anyone have any comments that are more helpful than this? Is there anything inherently wrong with my approach to the project? Do people have experience with bulbs flickering to extra-bright and then burning out?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-05, 09:52 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Your approach sounds just fine to me. Flickering is almost always caused by loose connections, probably a 99% chance. Especially since it's only one of two lights on the circuit. That eliminates all of the other possibilities such as motor start-up.

You are correct in that the loose connection may not be in your work. It could be inside of the light fixture you purchased. Perhaps try swapping the left and right fixtures to see if the right one flickers in the left spot. That could prove or eliminate a faulty light fixture. The loose connection can actually be the bulb socket itself in which case excess heat builds up and causes the bulb to fail. Check the little tab in the bottom of the bulb socket and bend it out a little so the base of the bulb gets a good contact to the socket.

Old 07-16-05, 03:38 PM
scdemandred
Visiting Guest
Thanks, ibpooks, I'll try swapping first and then check the fixtures themselves. Thanks! That's some good feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: