Amps vs Volts for A/C window unit

Old 07-14-05, 06:00 PM
genalind
Visiting Guest
Amps vs Volts for A/C window unit

I posted this in the Air Conditioning forum, then thought it may be better suited here. Sorry for the duplicate posting.

I had a window air conditioner 6900 btu 6.6 amps. It worked fine. I had an electrical problem and the electrician checked to see if the a/c caused it. He said it did not draw extra at all when he tested it. I have had all of the receptacles in my older mobile home replaced, but the wiring is original. I have just bought a new model window a/conditioner to replace the old one. The new one is 10000 btu 125 volts 15 amps. Should I be worried that the electric will not hold up?

I have checked online and receive conflicting information on this. I have a breaker box. Is the worst that can happen is it will throw the breaker? How do I tell if there is too much on that particular breaker switch. There is a computer and related items on the same line (with surge protection, of course) and I don't want any real serious issues cropping up.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Motor loads like AC can have large in-rush currents where it will draw more at startup than its running current or amps. You may not have enough reserve capacity in the circuit to avoid tripping the breaker.

Any large fixed in place load like this really should be on a dedicated circuit served by its own breaker.

Old 07-14-05, 07:20 PM
That's a big A/C unit for a mobile home. The A/C unit needs to be on a dedicated circuit breaker, so as not to cause voltage fluctuations to your PC and damage it prematurely. The instructions will indicate the size breaker that needs to protect it, but a 15A full running load probably requires a 20-30 breaker with associated wire size to support it.

Old 07-14-05, 08:36 PM
genalind
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help!!
Just one more question, if I may...

If I bought a lower amp/btu unit, would I then be able to run it safely without having to have it on a delegated circuit. How high of an ampage would be safe? The reason for this question is that I rent, and it would be nearly impossible to get the landlord to cooperate. The original a/c unit works, it just does not cool things down very well anymore. Can I safely get a higher BTU that would help cool better?

Old 07-14-05, 09:41 PM
Ideally get another 6000, 8 tops and see if you can locate it on another circuit and run them both