Stumped with this...(Power Failure)

Old 07-15-05, 10:43 AM
babesbarn
Visiting Guest
Stumped with this...(Power Failure)

Two days ago there was a tremedous storm in our town. Yesterday I noticed that in two rooms of my home the lights flickered and then later the computer, phone, lights and television in those rooms went out for thirty seconds. This happened a couple times yesterday and once today. The breakers are not tripped and the rest of the house seems fine.
Should I have concern to worry? Or does this sound like a power surge? I never heard of one that only affected a couple rooms in the house. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-05, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You have a problem with one of the phases of your electrical service. This is a potentially serious problem that needs to be dealt with in a timely fashion. Call your power company right away. Since you mentioned a storm, it is probably a loose connection to the utility transformer outside your house. The same problem may be affecting your neighbors too if you share a transformer. The power company will probably investigate and fix it for free.

In the meantime, turn off all of your 240V appliances, especially the air conditioner and well pump if you have one! The motors can be totally ruined by a single phase out.

Old 07-15-05, 06:59 PM
babesbarn
Visiting Guest
Talking Big thanks..but what does this mean?

Thank you very much! What do you mean by phases? And my neighbors are mostly businesses and a couple homes. They are not home much. But why would only two rooms do this? Tonight, nothing happened at all. I called the electric company and they said they would check it out.

Thanks again

Old 07-15-05, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your service has two hot wires and a neutral. Some people call those two hot wires "phases", although others would disagree with the use of that term.

Please, let's not start a discussion of whether or not the term "phase" is correct. It's not that important!

babesbarn, are your service wires underground or overhead?

Old 07-16-05, 05:20 PM
babesbarn
Visiting Guest
Exclamation What a big rip off!

My connections are all from poles. Wires run to my home. I called my utility company and told them that I had someone come out to my home and check out the problems I discribed here. Yes, I lied. I just wanted them to go check out their area while I wait for the electrician who never calls back.
Anyway, "Julian" says to me that it will cost me eighty five dollars to send a technician to look at THEIR TRANSFORMER. Can you believe it? I said..
"Excuse me????????? I am not asking you to come to my home, only to go to YOUR TRANSFORMER or check out the problem because it could be dangerous and distructive." She replies that it cost them money to do that and that I would have to pay. I laughed and said.." look honey, I am doing your company a service. I live in a business district and once before, (several years ago) I lost a expensive backup system to my computer due to a daily dip in power and your company had to pay me money to replace it. And besides a few years ago the transformer out there caught fire and I am just letting you all know that you could have a problem. But I am NOT PAYING EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS TO CHECK OUT YOUR OWN TRANSFORMER."
Anyway, she said she would make note of the problem for the record.

Today I did not notice the problem one time! I am keeping it monitored and plugging my computer into another area of the house. I am watching the answering machine and clocks for power loss too. I willl let you know what happens when my electrician finally comes over. But it seems to be stopped for now. Thanks again>

Last edited by babesbarn; 07-16-05 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add to answer
Old 07-16-05, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's fairly common for such problems to be aggrevated by the wind on overhead wires. Try to watch and see if the problem correlates to windy conditions.

Sorry you had such trouble with your power company. Most power companies happily provide such service free to their customers as a matter of course.

Old 07-17-05, 04:07 PM
babesbarn
Visiting Guest
Alls well now

Problem seems to have disappeared. But a good idea as you said to see what happens in windy weather. Thanks!

Old 07-18-05, 12:32 PM
Received 128 Votes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Sorry you had such trouble with your power company. Most power companies happily provide such service free to their customers as a matter of course.
Actually the POCO in my city will bill you if the problem is determined to be on my side of the service. I called once for a freind and they asked how I determined that there was one leg out and that I would be billed if it was my problem. Turned out to be defective underground cable. Their problem.