current variances

Old 07-15-05, 10:08 AM
Guevara
Visiting Guest
current variances

I'm seeing some current variances when i test outlet current with a multimeter.

Some outlets read 124 volts, while others (on a different circuit) read 116 volts.

Most of my house has romex wiring, but there is some armored cable in there as well. I recently ran a ground wire from one of the new circuits to a box with armored cable, in an attempt to ground some 3-pronged outlets which were connected to the armored cable. These outlets now read as grounded on an outlet tested I'm not sure if this might have something to do with the voltage variances.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-05, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Voltages will vary within a range. Sometimes the incoming from the utility will vary also depending on the loads on the system. Even how good the contact was between the leads on the meter and the receptacle blades can change the reading.

You CANNOT just add a ground by tieing into a grounded circuit and extending it to the ungrounded circuits. You also CANNOT just attach to a close waterline. There are specific Code rules to follow to ground ungrounded circuits. For all the work involved to do this correctly, it is better most times just to run a new cable with a ground back to to the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: