Too hot and too cold

Old 07-15-05, 03:34 PM
geomcgarry
Visiting Guest
Too hot and too cold

Does anyone know where to get a thermostat that controls an electrical outlet? I'd like for my old window air conditioner to shut off when it gets cold at night. Thanks

Old 07-15-05, 05:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat

i know you can buy them and wire them in for barn fans..so am guessing you can get them for your application also

try talking to a supplier or an electrician in yoru area...even jsut ask at your local dealer where you buy your electrical stuff

Old 07-16-05, 07:38 AM
P
This could be accomplished with a Honeywell switching relay controlled by a 24-volt heating/cooling thermostat. The problem is locating the relay "out-of-sight".

If the cable to the A-C receptacle-outlet goes dirctly to the panel, you could locate the relay there.You would have to run an 18/2 thermostat cable between the thermosat and the relay.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experiience!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-05, 09:52 AM
W
You might want to consider a new air conditioner. Many modern ACs include timers, so you could simply set the AC to turn off at night.

Most air conditioners have a built in thermostat. Most of them also have a setting where the fan turns off when the compressor turns off. So when it gets cold the AC should turn off anyway. Of course the thermostat is inside the house, and if you want your control based on outside temperature this won't help.

But the biggest reason to get a new AC is that they have gotten much more electrically efficient. The cost of the electricity that you save will pay for the AC pretty quickly.

-Jon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: