surface wiring

Old 07-16-05, 06:20 AM
carlmeyers
Visiting Guest
surface wiring

Is there any method of surface wiring (for double outlets only) in a garage other than EMT? I'd sure like to be able to simply mount ROMEX on wooden running boards and save myself the trouble of bending annd threading metal conduit. Also--do I have to use GFCI outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-05, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, with the emt you can buy any of the corners or fittings that attach to junction boxes, offsets, connectors, etc. You can do it without any bending at all if you desire with these pieces. Just a thot

Old 07-16-05, 07:32 AM
Or you could use pvc conduit and fittings.

Old 07-17-05, 07:43 AM
If NM cable is allowed in your area, then you can use NM cable. However, exposed wiring must be protected. What constitutes as protected is up to the inspector.

Many consider any wiring in the rafters to be okay as long as it is properly stapled to the rafters or run through them. Wiring on the walls they generally want to be protected. You can use conduit for this, or install a board covering the cable.

Old 07-18-05, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by carlmeyers
do I have to use GFCI outlets?
Yes, all "general purpose" outlets in the garage must be GFCI protected. You can use one GFCI receptacle to protect an entire circuit if you locate the GFCI as the first outlet on the circuit and wire line/load properly.

A dedicated outlet, such as an outlet behind a heavy freezer, does not need GFCI if it not accessible without moving the appliance. An outlet in the rafters for a garage door opener does not need GFCI protection.