Hip Roof and Pulling wire

Old 07-16-05, 12:11 PM
paudemge
Visiting Guest
Hip Roof and Pulling wire

Ok, I need to run a new wire for my dryer. But how do I pull wire in a hip roof? It seems almost impossible to run the wire because it looks like it would be very hard to get to walls since the roof slants so low.
How can this wire be ran, and if i decide to pay someone will they charge a fortune since it would be hard to run.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-05, 08:56 PM
You might be able to remove some soffit from outside, and/or remove some drywall from inside, to get the required access. Both are easily repaired.

Old 07-17-05, 10:26 AM
paudemge
Visiting Guest
I'll have to think about it a bit more before I start cutting into the dry wall or soffits.
I was thinking maybe, i could fish the fish-tape up from the opening where the dryer outlet already is, OR just attached the new wire to the old wire and pull it up that way.
And at the panel maybe do the same thing, fish-tape up from the nock-out and then get up in the attic and use something to grab the fish tape and pull it over to where i could get to it.
Any work in the attic is very hard, it is very low, there are hvac ducts up there and it is sweltering.

Old 07-18-05, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by paudemge
I was thinking maybe, i could fish the fish-tape up from the opening where the dryer outlet already is, OR just attached the new wire to the old wire and pull it up that way.
I'm 90% certain that the old cable will be stapled inside the existing wall, and attaching the new cable will not be practical. You will probably have to cut out some drywall or soffitt. The fish tape might work.

Old 07-18-05, 08:41 AM
paudemge
Visiting Guest
I don't know what I was thinking of course it would be stapled.
I am going to have to cut drywall anyway because my main breaker box is in the master bedroom closet and imbedded in the wall so i think it would be nearly impossible to add rewire without access to the top of the box.