Electrical Split Receptacle Help Needed

Old 07-16-05, 05:16 PM
buttonsox
Visiting Guest
Question Electrical Split Receptacle Help Needed

Need advise on wiring a room. I have already run the wire around the complete room and have now decided to split 2 of the outlets for lamps. Is there an easy way to run wire from a switch to the receptacles without pulling out the 12/2 wire I have run from receptacle to receptacle? Can I run a seperate 12/2 line straight to the upper half of the 1 receptacle and then over to the other, and if so what would the hook up look like? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-05, 06:53 PM
If the wall are still open, your best option is to pull out the 12/2 and put in 12/3. You could run a second run of 12/2, but the 12/3 is a much better idea. If you use the 12/3, you'll leave the tab in place on the silver-screw side. If you use a second 12/2, you'll break off the tabs on both sides.

Old 07-17-05, 06:21 AM
buttonsox
Visiting Guest
Question I ran another 12/2

Now that I ran another 12/2 from the switch to the receptacle the hook up would look like what? the first continous line has a standard wiring? bottom receptacle silver screw gets white/ gold screw gets black + the ground. Now on the second line I ran from the switch, what would that look like? Thanks

Old 07-17-05, 06:31 AM
If you ran 12-2 from the receptacle to the switch, then you need to create a switch loop.

At the receptacle connect the white switch wire to the black power wire. This same connection also connects to one of the gold screws. You will need a wire nut and pigtail for this connection.

The black wire from the switch connects to the other gold screw.

Break the tab on the gold side of the receptacle.

To make another receptacle switched as well, run 12-2 from the switched half of the receptacle and connect to the receptacle to also be half switched. make sure that at the second receptacle you break both tabs on the receptacle.

But save yourself the aggravation and do this the right way. Use 12-3 wire. The fact that you already have 12-2 wire should not cause you to do this the more difficult way.

Old 07-18-05, 06:22 AM
buttonsox
Visiting Guest
Question Running 12/3

Ok.. I'm going to run 12/3 to the split recepticals. I have the Power coming into the switch box and was wondering if I could then run a direct 12/3 line to the split recepticle then over to the second one with out undoing the 4 recepticles prior to the 1st split? This way the 2 recept. with a spit are isolated and the rest in the room continue on? some reason my memory tells me I can't do this and that a split has to be sandwiched between hot recept.?

Old 07-18-05, 06:38 AM
I'm not sure what you are saying. But let me cover a few of your options. I use "-" to mean 12/2 and "=" to mean 12/3. "R" will be a normal receptacle, and "SR" will be a switched recceptacle. "S" is the switch and "P" is the power source.
  1. P-S=SR=SR-R-R-R-R.
  2. P-R-R-S=SR=SR-R-R.
  3. P-S=SR=SR, and S-R-R-R-R.
If you want one of those, which one. If you want something different, please specify.

Old 07-18-05, 05:43 PM
buttonsox
Visiting Guest
Red face Split switch almost there!

Alright John, you are a great help, when I walk in the room, I want option 3. P-S=SR=SR for the two split outlets and nothing else on that line and then am going to run off the same power with no swithes 4. P-R-R-R-R-R-R-R going the other way thoughout the room and I will stay under 12 total outlets/lights on the circuit. I hope this makes sense. Yes? Thanks Jon

Old 07-18-05, 06:48 PM
Yes, that makes sense, and yes, that will work. What, if any, additional information do you need to complete your project?

Old 08-11-05, 08:10 PM
buttonsox
Visiting Guest
Smile It worked Great

Thanks John, Sorry it took a while, but I got busy and then couldn't find my orig. note. The receptacles and switch work great. I used 12/3 and it was no big hassle to pull out the old 12/2 wire. I ended up using it elswhere in the basement. Thanks again!

New Problem: I have a very good elect book explaining 3-way switch with 1 light on it but not with 3 lights. I will have power going to the switch then 12/3 to the 1st light, 2nd light, 3rd light then on to the other switch.

My confussion comes in do I simple tail the whites off... The reds are wire nut until the last switch but in between I think it would be different than a single light. Does this make sense?

Jon