Conduit question...how to get the cable through?

Old 07-17-05, 05:44 PM
Conduit question...how to get the cable through?

A while back I purchased about 35 feet of 3" PVC conduit. Now, running #14 or #10 is really not a problem going through conduit that large. My problem is that I am running 3 cables of #6 (3 conductor) through the PVC.

Long story short, it is a royal pain running the cable through this conduit. I have 3 90-degree elbows in the run. They are not close together though. There is 20 feet distance between 2 of them and about 10 feet distance between the last one and the middle elbow.

What do the pros do to make this job easier? I have drilled 1" holes about every 3 feet in the bottom of the conduit so I could get my finger in there and feel the cables and guide them as needed.

I have managed to get 2 of the cables run so far, but the last one is proving to be a nightmare. I'm just searching for some suggestions to make it easier.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-05, 07:05 PM
You need a fish tape. For a run this short a fish tape will work.

For longer runs, you can use a string which you suck through with a vacuum cleaner. If necessary the string can be used to pull a stronger medium through the conduit (such as a rope or wire). Eventually you have something strong enough to pull your final wires through.

Pull all the wires at the same time. Use cable lubricant. Do not use cable assemblies, but rather use individual conductors.

On that last note. Why are you using cables? This only makes your job much harder, and may be a code issue.

Old 07-17-05, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
You need a fish tape. For a run this short a fish tape will work.

For longer runs, you can use a string which you suck through with a vacuum cleaner. If necessary the string can be used to pull a stronger medium through the conduit (such as a rope or wire). Eventually you have something strong enough to pull your final wires through.

Pull all the wires at the same time. Use cable lubricant. Do not use cable assemblies, but rather use individual conductors.

On that last note. Why are you using cables? This only makes your job much harder, and may be a code issue.
lol - yes, hindsight is definitely 20/20. After I managed to get the 2nd cable through the conduit I started wondering why I didn't maybe run them all through at once. I also just recently spoke with my brother who used to do electrical work and he also mentioned the lubricant, stating they make a soap for this stuff, but that any household liquid soap should work fine.

Wish I had known all of this info a week ago, but thank you nonetheless.

Old 07-17-05, 07:31 PM
Just be careful using lubricant. Do not use oil, grease, petroleum jelly or anything like that. Petroleum based products will eat the insulation. Your best bet is to use a lubriacant made for the task. While soap would probably work, it might become an issue if/when the cable gets wet.