Vanity light / mounting question

Old 07-18-05, 06:02 AM
Vanity light / mounting question

Vanity Light Mounting Question:

In order to center above mirror in bathroom I am dead on a stud. Therefore there is not room to put a box to attach the fixture / house the electrical connections.

Can I mount the fixture directly on the stud? If so can I just tuck the connections in the fixture itself? I wouldn't be completely seperated from the drywall.

Any safe solutions to this issue? I'm sure it's not the first time this has happened.

Thanks to all for your help. My basement project comes to an end today (except this one light). Carpet is going down as we speak! The forum has been really helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 06:14 AM
I am thinking a fan "saddle" box. Think of them as a standard round box that has an opening down the center to stradle a stud.

Old 07-18-05, 06:45 AM
I believe Bogus is referring to something like this . I just installed a similar box for a new ceiling fan. I like the way the fixture winds up lagged directly into the joist/stud yet the box leaves room for wires.

The one in the picture is actually made differently than the one I used, which only had room for wire on one side. Very simple to install.

Old 07-18-05, 06:50 AM
I didn't know they made boxes like that. One problem though. The plumbing for the sink runs down both sides of the stud. (Hot on one side and cold on the other. Because of this the saddle box wouldn't fit.

The subject wall is an interior wall that backs up to unfinished space. (Lucky break.) Can I just mount a box on the "outside" of the stud and run the wire from the light directly into that box. (Run the fixture's wire through the drywall and into the box mounted on the opposite side of the stud.)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Old 07-18-05, 07:00 AM
Most over-the-mirror vanity lights have wiring compartments inside the fixture and need no box at all. And most are designed to be mounted to studs, not to boxes.

Old 07-18-05, 07:04 AM
How about this, A shallow Pan box:

http://doityourself.com/store/6641104.htm

Old 07-18-05, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Most over-the-mirror vanity lights have wiring compartments inside the fixture and need no box at all. And most are designed to be mounted to studs, not to boxes.
Do it as John says. Connect the romex cable directly to the light fixture.