Garage light

Old 07-18-05, 11:16 AM
roadeyes
Visiting Guest
Garage light

This is probably a basic question but I've never done any electrical before.
My garage light is one thatis turned on with a pull chain. I'd like to have it so that I can turn the light on via a switch on the wall. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 11:59 AM
You would need to be put in a "switch loop". Basically, a switch loop has one wire that takes current at the light fixture down to the switch. A second wire then returns to the light, and is made "hot" when the switch is turned ON, thus turning on the light.

To install a switch loop, you would need to able to run a cable (or conduit) from the box the light fixture mounts to down to the location you want the switch.

Since electrical is new for you, you should pick up a book such as "wiring simplified" and read it before beginning. This will fill you in on LOTS of issues you can potentially run into so that your installation does not just *work*, but is SAFE and code compliant.

Old 07-18-05, 12:23 PM
roadeyes
Visiting Guest
Great! Thanks for the help. Sounds easy enough but I guess a book IS a good idea.

Old 07-18-05, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by roadeyes
Great! Thanks for the help. Sounds easy enough but I guess a book IS a good idea.

Once you are confident in you ability, yes it is easy. There are several things that can go wrong though, as well as restrictions (code) that must be followed. Best thing about reading up is you will be ready to take on more complicated DIY electrical jobs afterwards. A switch loop is a good DIY job to start with.

Once you read up, post specific questions here and we'll get them answered.

Old 07-18-05, 12:42 PM
roadeyes
Visiting Guest
Will do. Thanks!