outside electrical outlet

Old 07-18-05, 12:59 PM
cosmo
Visiting Guest
outside electrical outlet

Both of the outside electrical outlets at my house are not working. I had a pond pump plugged into the backyard outlet and it quit working yesterday. I checked the front yard outlet and it does not work either. I checked the fuse box and it has a place for GFI outlet but it was not tripped. I am not familiar with these things and do not know what else I should do. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the outside, basement, garage, kitchen, and all bathrooms for another tripped GFCI outlet.

Old 07-18-05, 03:04 PM
Just for good measure, I would suggest manually resetting the breaker making sure to push it to the full off position and then back on, if you haven't already. This has worked for me a couple of times.

Old 07-18-05, 03:27 PM
have you mapped out the breakers? if not you are making a lot of assumptions - like assuming that just because you SHOULD have GFI on the exterior outlets that you actually do, or that the one you see in the box is on this circuit. If you have a newer house you could very well have several GFI circuits. Many times - especially in retrofits - the GFI breaker is in one of the outlet boxes, but you still have the regular circuit box breaker so in effect there are 2 breakers in the circuit (granted, the GFI would virtually always go first).

if you haven't done the mapping, there's no time like the present.