Metal box grounding

Old 07-18-05, 12:09 PM
Metal box grounding

I am re-wiring my 100 yr old house after electricial upgraded my main panel. I believe every metal box (junction, switch, outlet) needs to be grounded. I am using 12/2 with an unsheathed ground. Can I just use some excess ground wire from my scraps to pigtail the ground to the box? I bought a box of those ground clips to clip on the edge of a metal box. Are these O.K. to use or would you guys recomend to pigatiled to a ground screw at the back of the box? And, finally, the bare copper ground wire is O.K. to use? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by caneren
I am re-wiring my 100 yr old house after electricial upgraded my main panel. I believe every metal box (junction, switch, outlet) needs to be grounded.
That's correct.

I am using 12/2 with an unsheathed ground. Can I just use some excess ground wire from my scraps to pigtail the ground to the box?
Yes.

I bought a box of those ground clips to clip on the edge of a metal box. Are these O.K. to use or would you guys recomend to pigatiled to a ground screw at the back of the box?
These are okay. I personally prefer the self-tapping green screws. They have them at Home Depot $4 for 100 or so, and you install them with a nut driver. No chance you can accidentally knock it loose, and the bare ground wires can be shoved all the way to the back of the box where they belong IMO.

And, finally, the bare copper ground wire is O.K. to use?
Yes.

The ground wires must also be connected with a wire nut; they can no longer just be twisted up in a knot. Many people like the "Greenie" Ideal brand ground nuts. They're deep green with a small hole in the top for the pigtail. Any properly sized wire nut is acceptable however.