Electrical sockets

Old 07-18-05, 08:46 PM
AmyinLouisiana
Visiting Guest
Red face Electrical sockets

I could use some help. Whenever I plug in to a electrical socket (like the vaccuume cleaner) I find that it is so loose and easily falls out, so I have been pulling the prongs further apart. Does anyone know why this is? The house is 25 years old. Thank you from Louisiana.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 08:50 PM
pinkfloyd
Visiting Guest
the socket is to old and shot replace it with a new one .this will solve your problem.

Old 07-18-05, 09:04 PM
AmyinLouisiana
Visiting Guest
Thanks Pinky from Lousiana

Thank you for your advice, guess I will be busy this weekend.

Old 07-19-05, 04:25 AM
Please be careful replacing receptacles. Electricity can kill and cause fires.

Make sure to turn the power off.

I recommend replacing one receptacle at a time and checking everything on the circuit after replacing that one receptacle before going on to the next.

Pay attention to the tabs on each side of the receptacle. If the old receptacle had either tab broken off, then do so on the new one.

Maintain the location of the wires as far as the top half and bottom half of the receptacles is concerned. and as far as the gold connection side and the silver connection side.

Do not use the back stab connections (if they exist) on the new receptacles. Use only connections that are screw tightened.

If the existing receptacles are old style (two prong only) and your circuits are not grounded, then replace the receptacles with two prong receptacles.

Check all receptacles before starting and after completion with a tester. Do not rely on the fact that something works when plugged in as your test that you did not make mistake.

Old 07-19-05, 05:56 AM
Also, should you find that your existing wiring is aluminum (instead of copper), be SURE to use recepticals rated for aluminum. These recepticals will be clearly labeled Al/Cu, whereas others may say Cu ONLY.