Neutral & Ground on same bar?

Old 07-19-05, 11:53 AM
Question Neutral & Ground on same bar?

I'm sure it's been asked before. My G.E. Service panel has one bar for the neutrals & grounds. Not enuf screws on the bar. I'm making sure that the grounds that are doubled up are the same size (AWG). A few neutrals are also doubled up with matching sizes. My diagram shows (on the panel door) room for another bar. (I would need Carnac the Magnificant to find this spot for me.) If I can find another G.E. bar does that mean the new bar will also accept both neutrals & grounds? I'm handy with my electric repairs but this theory of both being on the same bar confuses me a bit. My mind tells me that if the neutrals also carry current , then isn't my grounds also? Over my head for an explanation, but I would love one if any of the experts have the time.
Thanks So Much.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 12:05 PM
Most panels will accept a second ground bar. Properly connected, this new bar is also for grounds and neutrals. You should not have neutrals doubled up, that would be a code violation.

Old 07-19-05, 12:58 PM
Thank You racraft. Would a "generic" brand grounding bar be acceptable if it fits in the G.E. box? At the big stores I cannot find a bar for G.E.

Thank You