main breaker is tripping since outage

Old 07-19-05, 08:56 PM
main breaker is tripping since outage

we had a power outage about a month ago in my neiborhood - after about 3 hours everyones power returned except ours. I called the power company who advised me to reset my main (200 amp which is located outside at my service entry away from my panel) this got my power going again but since then about 2 or 3 times a week my main will trip and i will have to reset it again. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 07:13 AM
I suppose that it's possible that the main breaker, or something else, got damaged by whatever caused the power outage. Replacing a main is not a DIY job, so I'd call an electrician.

Old 07-20-05, 06:05 PM
WFO
It is very common in our area (central Texas) for fire ants to get into electrical equipment. The little beggars seem to love getting fried! Quite often, we will operate a breaker that has ants in it. The ants fall between the contacts when it is reclosed and make a poor, (and sometimes a completely open) connection.
If the connection is poor, it will generate more heat. Since the breaker is thermal, this raises it closer to it's trip point.
A long shot, but possible.