convert a oulet into a switch and light?

Old 07-21-05, 09:26 AM
DUSTIN
Visiting Guest
Question convert a oulet into a switch and light?

I am tearing out some walls in my house to add a walk in closet. There are outlets in these walls that I don't need anymore. What I do need is a light in the closet. I need to know if I can use the wires from the outlet to wire the switch and light? Also I need to know how to do this (do I wire the switch then the light or the light then the switch.

Old 07-21-05, 09:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can do this. However, there are very strict and somewhat complicated rules about light placement in a closet to reduce the risk of having the light catch the stuff in the closet on fire. The clearance requirements depend on whether you are using incandescent or fluorescent lights, and whether they are surface or recessed mounted.

If this receptacle is unswitched, you would run a new cable from the receptacle box to the switch box, and another new cable from the switch box to the light fixture box.

I suggest you pick up a few books on home wiring. They cover projects such as this quite well.

As you remove walls, remember that all splices must be in permanently accessible junction boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: