Surface Conduit Question

Old 07-21-05, 11:21 AM
Surface Conduit Question

Hi, asthetics aside, is there any code violation or anything illegal with using surface mounting conduit (EMT OR WIREMOLD) for an entire homes interior? Also, are there any paint colors that CANNOT be used on these types of conduit? It may be an off-the-wall question, but I needed to ask it. As I replace all of the old K&T wiring with surface conduit I feel so much safer in this old house of 80 years (i'm not leaving it either so there are no intentions of selling this house.)I've been helped so much by this DIY forum and I trust the expert advice from the moderators and trusted members. By The Way, to speak of asthetics for a moment, I am doing a complete remodel with that "industrial loft" look & feel to it and that is how I found the "look with all the painted EMT") in a magazine article, but the article mentioned nothing of codes. Or maybe just ol' timers like me still enjoy remembering looking at all that conduit from working in factories.
THANK YOU.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-05, 12:16 PM
No to both of your questions. But I personally would have a lot of trouble putting "asthetics aside" this far.

Old 07-21-05, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Surface mounted, painted EMT is perfectly okay for residential property. Any color is okay; you might want to paint the EMT with a spray on grey metal primer as a first coat.

Follow the rules for grounding metal boxes, conduit fill and derating and you'll be all set. I think you'll find that the compression type EMT connectors work much better than the set screw type also.

The only time I can think of that surface mount EMT is not okay is where it could be subject to severe damage. Perhaps somewhere it could be hit by a vehicle, fork truck or machinery in which case rigid metal would be used.