multigang electric boxes

Old 07-21-05, 06:37 PM
multigang electric boxes

I have a situation where I need five switches on a wall, but I can only find four gang boxes.

What does one do in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-05, 07:16 PM
I have never seen five gang boxes, and I wouldn't use one.

Five boxes would be very heavy, and you might need some support for the bottom of the box.

They sell metal boxes that are designed such that the sides can be removed (one side or both sides). The remaining pieces (top, bottom, back, possibly one side) screw together. You would buy five of these and put them together.

Old 07-22-05, 01:39 AM
You would buy five of these and put them together.
Well then, that's what I shall do, as soon as I figure out where to get them. Probably at a supply house...haven't seen them at HD or Lowe's.

Thanks a bunch for the tip.

Randy

Old 07-22-05, 04:34 AM
Don't forge about face plate. I don't think I have ever seen one that big.

Old 07-22-05, 05:28 AM
They have these boxes at HD, Lowes, and most other home stores. For the face plate you will likely have to buy the individual pieces and piece one together.

Old 07-22-05, 08:49 AM
RACO manufactures gang-boxes up to 9 gangs. The depth of theses boxes = 1-5/8 ". The box requires a 3'4" raised ( rough) cover , available up to 9 gangs.

I doubt that H-D will stock 3+ gang-boxes , so shop at an electrical-supply house.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-05, 04:56 PM
Generally, confusion goes up as the number of switches in a box goes up. Studies have shown that people don't like and get confused by more than 3-gang boxes. So human-factors experts don't think these large boxes are good designs. People seem to be able to intuitively handle one 3-gang and one 2-gang in the same general area a lot more easily than a 5-gang.

Old 07-23-05, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys for the info...I'm still assimilating everything in my attempt to make a decision on which way to go.

John, I know what you are referring to, and I had already made that suggestion, but the wife doesn't like the idea..I haven't given up on it yet.

The problem is the switches will be a mix of kitchen and LR. I'd like to put the LR switches around the corner, where they belong, but there will be a pocket door frame installed there, so that kills that wall.

What would be a good arrangement to go with using a three and a two? Side-by-side? How far apart would you place them? I can't ever recall seeing this particular setup. I probably have, but I just don't remember.

Old 07-23-05, 08:07 PM
If you have enough space in a four gang box you could put two of the switch legs on a stacked switch (two switches on one yoke). But this doesn't necessarily look any better than dividing up the switches.