adding a sub panel

Old 07-22-05, 07:58 AM
jtittlebaum
Visiting Guest
adding a sub panel

What is involved in adding a sub panel to my house? I am adding a bathroom and my main panel is full.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-05, 08:05 AM
Just because your panel has no open spaces does not mean that your panel is full. If your panel accepts tandem breakers then you may be able to remove one or more full size breakers and insert tandem breakers, adding the necessary space.

Tandem breakers are certainly much cheaper than adding a sub panel. However, if you have additional needs in the future, or if you are talking about more than a few circuits then it might be prudent to consider a sub panel.

A sub panel is installed by placing an appropriate sized breaker into your main panel, running four conductor cable to the sub panel, and properly connecting the cable to the sub panel.

Old 07-22-05, 08:12 AM
jtittlebaum
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the tandem breakers. I may be able to make that work.

Old 07-22-05, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by jtittlebaum
What is involved in adding a sub panel to my house? I am adding a bathroom and my main panel is full.
I would see if your panel will accept the little tandem breakers. These are essentially two single pole breakers in one. This would let you get an extra circuit or two in the panel for the the bathroom and you would not have to add a sub-panel.

sorry looks like I duplicated your post Bob

EDIT: If your neutral bar is full most panels will allow you to double up the bare grounds to open up holes for the new circuits. You can only put one neutral (white) wire per hole.

Old 07-22-05, 04:23 PM
One more furthur edit....make sure if you double up a ground wire that the panel is labeled for such. Most that allow doubling up of a ground wire will have that notice in the verbage of the panel label as well.....

Old 07-22-05, 04:30 PM
Boy... I think the heat has taken its toll on my ablities to remember things either that or I have been exposed to the "corona effect"...

http://www.thestudentzone.com/articl...s/hangover.jpg