bath wiring

Old 07-22-05, 12:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bath wiring

We are adding a Master bath along side the 1st bath. Does this scenario meet code (nationally at least)

- a 20 amp circuit for 4 outlets (3 in Master bath, the other in the small bath. All will be GFCI protected.
- 3 lights on an existing lighting circuit, 2 in Master, one in small bath

And for the outlet circuit, can feed power to a GFCI outlet in the small bath and then run the load side power to 3 standard 20 amp outlets in the master bath, or do I need a seperate GFCI in the master bath too, even though it would be duplicative.

Old 07-22-05, 12:40 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Your plan is up to code. One GFCI for the whole circuit is okay.

You may want to consider putting the receptacles for the two bathrooms on seperate 20A circuits. Especially if you have daughters; duelling hair dryers, curling irons and who knows what else on one 20A circuit could be pushing it.

Old 07-22-05, 12:51 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That sounds correct. If all the bathroom receptacles are on a single 20 amp circuit, and there is nothing else on the circuit then you are fine. The GFCI protection can be from the smaller bathroom if you wish, or you can feed the line side to the master bathroom and then use a GFCI receptacle there. If it were my house I would use a GFCI receptacle in both bathrooms, but that's just my preference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: