Emt In Attic

Old 07-23-05, 11:22 AM
Emt In Attic

hi, Making attic into a loft with just 2 ceiling fixtures and a few general use receptacles. I used EMT. I was able to bring #12/2NM from the 20A breaker at the panel up along the vent pipe to the attic. There it enters a J box with a pig tail ground to the green grounding screw in the box. From that box I used EMT for the rest of the run and also added a green conductor along with the black and white conductor that connects to all ground pigtails at receptacles & switches & ceiling fixtures. A friend who is an auto body man, told me that my EMT has to go all the way back to the panel and cannot be used the way I have it. The j box is permanently accessible. Please do not make me undo all this work. I even painted the EMT. THANK YOU.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-05, 12:06 PM
Bob,

No, you do not have to redo the EMT you ran but it is important that you do the following steps if you have not.

1.) Make sure the boxes are bonded correctly at each point along the EMT segments.

2.) Make sure you did not sleeve NM wire inside the EMT you can as it would not be considered for protection purposes by your local AHJ.

Now....again I may be wrong so others can elaborate but we as contractors have done this before in retro's for college campus work as well which the entire system is not redone but certain rooms are redone and surface mounting EMT ends up being the most cost effective method for the contractor if on a budget and after all it is just student housing. ( contractors words no mine....students dont be offended )

I like the idea you did run a individual seperate ground.....as some may argue since the j-Box is bonded to the ground in the NM you fed it with that now since the J-Box is connected to the EMT it is bonded and no need for the green wire.....I disagree and I dont have a code section available because I am not in the office.....home computer is where I am now.......

But the green insulated ground wire keeps the system constant and true to the ground......

Conclussion I do not see anything wrong with this..again provided you did not sleeve the EMT with NM cable which is a debate all its own.

Old 07-23-05, 12:06 PM
Your EMT is fine but you may be in trouble if your 12/2 NM-b did not have the bare copper ground wire. If you haven't got the ground in the nm then you need to run 12/2 with ground to the JB where your EMT starts and connect the green ground wire in the EMT to the bare ground of the NM cable.

I see I duplicated posts. Most important thing here is the nm having the ground wire.

I understood him to have individual wires when he mentioned running a green ground wire in the EMT.

Old 07-23-05, 12:11 PM
Excellent POINT Roger.........we always assume....( assuming is not good..lol.) that everyone today uses NM-B with ground so you are totally right.....

As I stated before.......the EMT is fine.......and assumed the ground was in that 12-2NM.....now lets see what he says and see if my assuming was right or wrong........

IN electricity assuming may be the last time you assume anything...lol

I see you are over your heat issue.......great post....!!!

Old 07-23-05, 12:16 PM
Yes I finally got a nights sleep. One of the things I like about these forums is everybody for the most part is understanding of others oversights or assumptions. It isnt that we dont know its that we are suffering from heat stroke!!!

Old 07-23-05, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys, ...Yes, the 12/2 NM does have the black , the white, and the bare ground conductor. I guess my friend should stick to his auto body works. You folks made my day!

Old 07-23-05, 01:06 PM
yeah...those Auto Body guys always want the life of a Electrician...all glamour and expensive cars and loads of women rushing to get near us Electricians....TEHEHEETTEEHhh......SNAP WOW I was dreaming for a second their....back to reality..theheh