Replacing outlet

Old 07-23-05, 07:46 PM
eyefeather
Visiting Guest
Replacing outlet

Hello,

Our house has Aluminum wiring, except apparently in the kitchen. We had a toaster, a microwave and a toaster oven on one outlet. It kept blowing recently and it took out the refrigerator outlet with it. So I took out the outlet a push-in type, and was surprised it was copper wire there. One of the black wires has some green corrosion on it and the insulation is a bit bummpy as if maybe it got too hot.

Is it okay to just replace the outlet with a screw in type? The wire is scratched up a bit where the push-in type clamped down.

Do I clean off the green stuff with some sand paper? Not sure why only one black wire has it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-05, 08:24 PM
Replacing the receoptacle will not stop the breaker from tripping or fuse from blowing. You have too much on the circuit. Plug something into another circuit.

If you want to replace the receptacle, go ahead and do so. It won't solve your problem, but you can still do it. As long as the wire is intact, you can use it.

Old 07-24-05, 12:04 PM
eyefeather
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your imput! I did replace the outlet, because the tester wouldn't light for the top; but it did for the bottom. Plus nothing would work in it.

Now that I've replaced it, it does work. I guess however, I will continue to live without a microwave, since I believe that's what was drawing too much power.