UF Cable Query

Old 07-25-05, 08:05 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
UF Cable Query

Hi guys i havent posted for a while as ive been busy but for all you who remember me i have got my Visa now so i will be moving to Canada, Ottawa in September but anyways.

I have been reading up on electrical differences to ours in the uk and i was looking at Underground Feeder cable, how come it is not required to be armoured whereas if you run cable down the garden or to a garage in the uk it is required to be run in Steel Wired Armoured cable whihc is cable seathed in and surrounded by steel wires to protect from damage caused by spades etc... How come the UF cable is not required to be armoured as wouldnt this expose a direct shock hazzard. And is it code to have the cable delivering the power to the external location protected by GFCI at the main board.

thanks again
Ian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-05, 08:29 AM
Comments below refer to U.S. code:

It's not required to be armored because it's required to be two feet down. Obviously this doesn't eliminate the risk, but it mitigates it. If you're down two feet, you're probably using some power equipment, and that would probably cut through armored cable too.

GFCI is not required on underground cable, but in some situations (branch circuits of 20 amps or less), you can reduce the burial depth by providing it.

Old 07-25-05, 08:32 AM
Snape,

I can't begin to tell you what Canada does but in the US we are fine with UF but their is requirements in regards to it as in depth and so on. Chances of a spade hitting a PROPERTY done UF wire is rare in that it needs to be minimum 24" in depth which makes the chance of a spade rare.....

Now in our code depths can be altered by using different forms of protection which are covered in Table 300-5 but I do not know in regards to Canada......but I would hope they give consideration to the NEC.

Many out their do not know the ACTUAL depth the UF needs to be and they also are not aware that as the UF comes back up it must be protected as well in the proper manner from physcial damage to a depth of no more than 18 inches......but I will give you the article and you can view it Art 300-5(d).

Hope this helps any....

Old 07-25-05, 08:33 AM
John is TOO fast...lol...beat me to it again....thehehehe

Old 07-25-05, 08:40 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information, i was just looking through a copy of the Ontario electrical code as this is what i will be working with in Canada, and it specifies that the depth required if below a pathway etc must be 23.6" and below a driveway 35.4" so im guessing this is somewhere along the lines of the NEC, it also states that if mechanical protection is provided the depths can be reduced slightly to around 17".

Old 07-25-05, 08:47 AM
Snape,

I am not sure what " mechanical " means to Canada....GFCI is not what I would consider " Mechanical "...well I guess it could be aurgued it is...they would be better off saying GFCI protected to reduce it as John has stated.

They would also be wise to use the NEC as a boilderplate as it is updated so frequently and reviewed by some of the industry leaders in the Electical applications.

The depths are simular I guess....different in Residential driveways and so on versus Commercial pathways and driveways and if the situation is concrete protected and so but basically the same....without going into too much detail.

If you would like to see the actual depths check out NEC Table 300-5 and it will have all the depths for you as it pertains to the NEC.

Old 07-25-05, 08:54 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
Sorry i was confusing the situation by Mechanical i meant such protection as conduit or treated planks above the cable in the ground.

Im not sure why they do not adhere to the NEC codes as it seems more indepth than what they are using at present.