problem changing outlet

Old 07-26-05, 10:14 AM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
Exclamation problem changing outlet

i noticed bad sparking from an outlet. when i went to change it the insulation on the white wires were burnt off..my house is pretty old...there is not enough wire to pull down to connect..is there a solution for this...i taped up the wires temp so i could use all the other outlets on this circuit..but none of them work...i guess its a series circuit...any help would be appreciated ...i have no electric in 3 rooms..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 10:38 AM
How far back along the insulation do the burn marks extend? Is there enough non-burned wire so that you could cut off the burned portion and still connect a pigtail to the wire? What about simply connecting the wires together (blacks together and whites together)?

Old 07-26-05, 10:42 AM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
problem changing outlet

its burnt pretty far back not enough to attach....can i tape the wire (like giving it insulation then attach?.....i wasnt sure if i could tape wires together...would that give me a solid connection?

Old 07-26-05, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1) Tape is not a substitute for wire insulation. If there isn't enough unburned wire left to make a connection, then the wire needs to be replaced. This might not be too bad of a job if you have access to the basement/crawlspace or attic above the affected wall.

2) Connections must be made with wire nuts, not twist-n-tape.

Old 07-26-05, 12:48 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
problem changing outlet

thanks for the info....the main panel is directly under the outlet trying to change....i thought i had to go in the attic to change the wire