wire hook up for new 60 amp panel

Old 07-26-05, 05:30 PM
channafatboy
Visiting Guest
wire hook up for new 60 amp panel

Hi Everyone,

I would like a diagram of the wire hook up to my new 60 amp service in the garage. It is all hooked up at the other end,the power is shut off,but have no glue on hooking the wires up to the screws in the panel.
Could someone help me with this????????

Cheeers,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 09:06 PM
Sorry, but this isn't the place to gain electrical experience, and it seems from the way you asked the question that you have very little electrical experience. In my opinion, this is a case in which it would be well worth a hundred bucks to an electrician. You can't afford to get this one wrong.

Who wired the garage? Is there a subpanel out there? How many wires run from the house to the garage? What size are they? What type are they? Are they buried? How deep? Conduit? Is there a disconnect switch in the garage? How many circuits are in the garage? Are all the receptacles GFCI protected? Is there a grounding rod at the garage? Maybe two of them?

The above are just a few of the factors to consider when answering your question.

Old 07-27-05, 04:34 AM
channafatboy
Visiting Guest
Hi JOhn,

The garage was wired when I bought it(plugs are in ,junction boxes are in,wire is just hanging from rafters

I have a new 60 amp panel with 2 -15 amp breakers in it.I also have a 10/3 wire runnning from the house to the garage with conduit running along the house.Recepatacles are grounded and there is no grounding rod.I just don't no where the red,black,white wires hook upto in the panel from the live wire running from the house,the recepatcle wires and the 2 light wires I understand where they go in the panel

thanks alot,

Old 07-27-05, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by channafatboy
Hi JOhn,

The garage was wired when I bought it(plugs are in ,junction boxes are in,wire is just hanging from rafters

I have a new 60 amp panel with 2 -15 amp breakers in it.I also have a 10/3 wire runnning from the house to the garage with conduit running along the house.Recepatacles are grounded and there is no grounding rod.I just don't no where the red,black,white wires hook upto in the panel from the live wire running from the house,the recepatcle wires and the 2 light wires I understand where they go in the panel

thanks alot,
What's the amp rating of the circuit breaker (located in the main service panel) feeding the sub panel?

Is this a detached (stand alone structure) or attached garage?

Old 07-27-05, 09:32 AM
Since you only have 10/3 running to the garage, we're going to have to call this a "30-amp subpanel" rather than a "60-amp subpanel". You're going to need a 30-amp double-pole breaker. Examining how the other double-pole breakers are wired will guide you. The red and black wires will connect to the breaker screws, the white will connect to the bar with all the other whites, and the bare to the bar with all the other bares.

I offer this information for your interest only. I still strongly suggest you let someone more experience do the work. There are a lot of things that can go wrong to make it unsafe (even if it works properly) and a lot of things that can go wrong that can kill you.

Old 07-27-05, 03:52 PM
channafatboy
Visiting Guest
thank you I will Take your advice

thanks again
craig