Air Conditioner and SOOW Wire

Old 07-27-05, 09:43 AM
Air Conditioner and SOOW Wire

Air Conditioner:

230 V 5.8 amps 1230 watts

Wire:

Carol 12/3 90c water resistant SOOW CSA (-40c)

FT-2 P-7K-123033 MSHA 600 V

As sort of a temporary set up I ran 60 feet of this wire from a 20 amp double pole breaker with a 6-20 receptacle on the other end.

Is this considered an extension cord? Only reason I ask is the comments in the "25 amp saw" thread got me thinking this might not be good for my AC. The book does say "Do Not Use An Extension Cord."

Thanks,

Baldwin

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 11:24 AM
You have several code violations with this method some of which are in article
400 of the NEC and you are also required to install the window air according to the manufactuers instructions. All flexible cords must be energized from a receptacle when suppling portable appliances or appliances intended for cord connection......[art.400-7(b).]......you are using a circuit breaker.

Old 07-27-05, 04:09 PM
As Roger stated, this is not a code compliant installation. There are many details in an electrical installation, and all of these have to be correct. Flexible cords may not be used as substitutes for correctly installed permanent wiring, among other issues with such cords.

However, just considering the _particular_ question that you have asked: is this use of cord bad for the motor. The issues involved are voltage drop and the impedance of the conductors associated with the starting current that the motor requires. This is a design issue that is quite independent of the code requirements. If the conductors feeding your AC are too long or too thin, then they will impede the flow of current to the motor and cause hard starting.

It is entirely possible for a completely code legal installation to cause excessive voltage drop, and that from a design standpoint you would want to increase the size of the conductors feeding the air conditioner.

The voltage drop associated with this 60 feet of 12ga SOOW cord will be essentially the same as the voltage drop associated with 60 feet of 12ga romex. In other words, from the point of voltage drop and motor starting, this installation is probably just fine. It is wrong in many other ways, however.

-Jon

Old 07-27-05, 06:22 PM
--> The voltage drop associated with this 60 feet of 12ga SOOW cord will be essentially the same as the voltage drop associated with 60 feet of 12ga romex. <--

Thanks Jon, that what I wasn't sure about. Stranded or solid, 12ga is 12ga.

The reason for the temporary install is.......

My mobile home has a Federal Pacific panel with a 50 amp main that I want to replace with a Square D 100 amp panel.

However, looking at the supply cord, it says it is rated at only 50 amps so I can't use that. I would guess I'll have to get a new box on the pole and bury some heavier wire to the house.

Thanks,

Baldwin