Transition from Romex to conduit

Old 07-27-05, 11:44 AM
Transition from Romex to conduit

Hi:
I want to run a 15A line through the basement wall and up the exterior wall to a GFCI outlet. I want to use metal conduit on the exterior, but the run to the exit through the basement wall will be Romex. Can I run the Romex through the conduit, or do I need a work box where I transition from Romex to conduit and separate black, white, ground wires?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 11:55 AM
No, you cannot run NM through the conduit. If you use UF you could run it though the conduit, but not NM.

Install a junction box (permanently accessible) and make the transition in that box.

Better yet, run the cable up inside the wall, and then you can use NM without the need for conduit..

Old 07-27-05, 12:06 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
I often wondered why you can not run nm thru conduit?

Old 07-27-05, 12:11 PM
This is not about NM in conduit, it's about NM in wet locations and outdoors.

This conduit will end up with water inside. Warm air from the house will leak into the conduit and water will condense out of it, or water will get in via the receptacle. This will ruin the NM cable.

Old 07-27-05, 12:31 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
I see got it now

Old 07-27-05, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies:

Followup: please explain the abbreviations UF and NM.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-05, 12:49 PM
UF=Underground Feeder. Harder to work with, but waterproof. Can be sunlight resistant also.

NM=Non-metallic. Easier to work with but can't get wet.

All cable must be protected when installed.

Old 07-27-05, 12:56 PM
In my opinion, it would be okay to run NM-B in conduit. It would even be okay to run NM-B in conduit outdoors, as long as the conduit is all above ground and without low points where water might collect, such as a conduit run going straight up an exterior wall. I realize that this isn't everybody's opinion.

Old 07-27-05, 01:43 PM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
Interesting....

I was just told by my county inspectors that I had to run conduit all the way from an outside subpanel (for a hot tub) through my basement to my service panel. It is intersting about the condensation though... I would think that this type of situation would lead to the possibility of getting water condensing in the conduit and dripping back into my service panel.... Running conduit inside the basement as they are telling me I have to do makes no sense to me... (just venting here.. ;-) )

Old 07-27-05, 02:18 PM
Deleted post....was redundant

Last edited by Roger; 07-27-05 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope you had a fairly detailed conversation with the county inspector, because requirements for hot tubs are numerous and very strict. A small oversight could result in a failed inspection and an unsafe installation. If you haven't yet, use the search function of this forum to find some of the recent discussions about hot tub installation. It will be worth the time to do some research.

Did you talk about conduit, grounding, bonding, GFCI breakers, the required disconnect, and the details of the subpanel? If not, you've definately got some reading to do.